Talk

Advanced search

Quick question for teachers - dd has been doing tests this week

(11 Posts)
MachinesAreGo Sat 10-Oct-09 21:14:31

Hiya
DD is in Yr 4, and said this week she has been doing tests. They are english and maths, multiple choice, and sound like ones that I did for my 11+! We aren't in an 11+ area (Dorset), so are they a standard test for Yr 4? She said some children didn't do them - they did colouring instead hmm. School hasn't said anything about testing them, but they never tell us anything! I'm just curious really smile

Smithagain Sat 10-Oct-09 21:22:58

Am not a teacher, but DD1 is in Year 3 and did these tests at the beginning of term. I presume the school is using them as some sort of progress-checker after the summer holidays and got the impression all the children did them.

MachinesAreGo Sat 10-Oct-09 21:43:08

Hmm. that could be it [hhmm]. They way dd described it, they had to do things like select missing words, odd one out words, missing numbers and correct answers from choices of 4.
I wonder why some children didn't do them hmm?

Inghouls2 Sat 10-Oct-09 21:47:09

they are standard verbal and non verbal reasoning papers... they're for 11+ assessment. And Dorset is an 11+ area... I went to grammar there.

katiestar Sat 10-Oct-09 22:13:51

We are in a grammar school area and all the KS2 children did Verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests recently

trickerg Sat 10-Oct-09 22:50:35

I imagine they're just Nfer tests to measure progress. Nothing sinister.

primarymum Sun 11-Oct-09 08:54:57

All year 4's in my county have to sit the NFER assessment tests which these sound like, nothing to do with the school, we're just sent them to do and then they are sent off for marking!

MachinesAreGo Sun 11-Oct-09 21:17:34

Thanks all smile
Def sounds like Nfer tests then. Do parents get the results or is it just for teachers to measure progress?

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 21:22:02

I don't think they do NFER tests in French. The 5A and 6s sound like national curriculum levels - very high ones for Year 7.

When my DD finished Y6, she had the top maths grade of 5. Her teacher reckoned that she was way beyond this level. However, in her secondary school, she did not cruise into Level 6 because L6 has lots of new concepts that is simply not covered in primary. She was very competent in the concepts she had covered however, but no way could be assessed as a L6 without having done loads of extra curricular work. I'd be surprised that anyone tests for L6 early in Y7, unless they were singled out for extra work in their junior school.

wicked Sun 11-Oct-09 21:23:04

Oops, sorry, I was thinking of another thread about a Year 7 child. Scrub my last post.

MachinesAreGo Tue 13-Oct-09 10:25:20

Well, DD said she did some more yesterday, and they were CAT tests. She also said she missed most of one because she needed the toilet and the nearest ones were flooded so she had to go elsewhere. I said the tests can't have been that important then!
Ta for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now