Talk

Advanced search

girl's hair - does it have to be tied up?

(18 Posts)
roundabout1 Tue 06-Oct-09 16:33:50

Probably a daft question but I wondered this today picking up dd. All the girls had their hair tied back but as far as I'm aware no official rule on this. My dd is so sick of having hair in a ponytail or bunches already & we've just started reception!

meltedmarsbars Tue 06-Oct-09 16:37:02

Yes if you don't want additional visitors in there
grin

mankyscotslass Tue 06-Oct-09 16:37:35

I think they say it must be tidy,and off the face, but no rules as such at our school.

We do tie it back though due to the very real risk of headlice. In saying that DD wanted hers down today with just an Alice band in, because it was school photos. I have been stressing about nits all day, even though I sprayed her hair before she went!

Rubyrubyruby Tue 06-Oct-09 16:38:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scarletlilybug Tue 06-Oct-09 16:38:45

It's up to each school, as far as I'm aware. Most schools prefer it if girls hair is kept tied back and out of their eyes. Lokks a lot neater and smarter, too, IMO. I think it also helps to prevent the transmission of nits.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Tue 06-Oct-09 16:40:42

Our school doesn't have any rules, but it seems sensible to keep it out of their eyes. And then there is the nit issue. hmm

serenity Tue 06-Oct-09 16:42:46

DD went into Reception with her hair down and got head lice within the week (despite a whole year clear through Nursery) She now wears plaits.

TheApprentice Tue 06-Oct-09 16:44:36

Most schools will insist on hair being tied up for PE as it is a safety issue.

southernbelle77 Tue 06-Oct-09 16:48:31

Yes, if hair can be tied back it must be so pretty much anything chin level and below in our school needs to be up.

Ixia Tue 06-Oct-09 20:10:04

I don't think there is an official rule at our primary, but DD has waist length hair and I always tie it back, because of wee beasties. She's in reception too and think it has just hit that she's going to have to wear uniform all the time - she wanted pink tights this morning

Hulababy Tue 06-Oct-09 20:20:08

There is n rule t DD's school or the school I work at. However DD has her hair tied up pretty much every day; ideally I put them in plaits. I do this (a) to keep it tidy, and (b) to try and avoid the spread of head lice.

Pyrocanthus Tue 06-Oct-09 20:49:11

Well I think it ought to be, but when I dropped DD's specs in at 10am today she'd already pulled her bobble out and her hair was roaming wild and free. Don't think there's a rule.

LeonieBooCreepy Tue 06-Oct-09 21:22:25

Message withdrawn

Toffeepopple Tue 06-Oct-09 21:59:40

Our school says long hair must be tied back.

islandofsodor Tue 06-Oct-09 22:00:30

Yes, long hair must be tied back.

Dd with a just above shoulder length bob is borderline.

squeaver Tue 06-Oct-09 22:03:29

My dd has shoulder length hair. Last year in nursery I didn't bother tying it back, mainly because it was such a pain getting her to co-operate.

This year in reception, it's in a pony-tail every day and so much easier to deal with. She doesn't come home with it matted with snot, paint and God knows what else. And there's the nits thing too.

All in all it's just more practical. I let her have it down at the weekend.

Goblinchild Tue 06-Oct-09 22:06:35

Lice
Glue
Paint
Playdoh
Safety in PE
Not being able to see clearly when they are working at a table.
Other children's glue/paint/lunches etc
Hair getting caught in zips and buttons
AAARRRGGGHHH!

Not to mention the combing, chewing, fiddling and communal monkey grooming that distracts others.

Yes, we say long hair should be kept away from the face, tied back or plaited in some way.
Can I point out that the rules apply to the several long haired boys that we have too?

Goblinchild Tue 06-Oct-09 22:07:59

Oh God Squeaver, I forgot the time that A used B's golden locks to wipe his nose with.
<sick emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now