Talk

Advanced search

Am mortified – expecting letter home from school about DD2's behaviour at school on friday

(10 Posts)
MrsWicket Mon 05-Oct-09 13:27:30

Got home from work on friday to find out that DD2 (4) had kicked and shoved a year 2 girl really hard and then told the teacher who intervened to go away. blush I don't know the ins and outs so I don't know if she was provoked or not but I'm mortified. CM picked her up from school and was told about it and that we (her parents) would be getting a letter. She's only been there since September and I thought she seemed to be settling in ok (ha!). She can't explain why she did it. Have had big talks with her over the weekend how it's not nice to hit or kick people. It's parent's evening wednesday – what on earth do I say to her teacher? She's a sweet girl most of the time though can be very stubbon when she wants to be. She won't be expelled will she?

seeyounexttuesday Mon 05-Oct-09 13:31:11

No she won't be expelled. It wasn't a nice thing to do ,but she is only 4.

Lot's of 4 year olds do stuff like that. She is only tiny and probaly really getting exhausted with all day at school and it was the end of the week. She probably just had enough.

You won't be the first or the last to be in this situation.

Try not to worry.

MissAnnesley Mon 05-Oct-09 13:32:21

Don't be mortified. And cheer up. <<bracing>>

You have already talked to her - good. Don't overdo it if you think the message sank in once.

As the opener at the parents' evening thing say you are glad to have a chance to discuss it as it's been on your mind & can they tell you if they have noticed her being unhappy etc? You need some feedback from them before you can assess why it might have happened.

Children get frustrated, act out of character, lose their tempers, say things they regret / don't mean, act injudiciously, just like adults.

LeonieBooCreepy Mon 05-Oct-09 13:43:02

Message withdrawn

Curiousmama Mon 05-Oct-09 13:43:40

Don't be mortified it happens a lot. She was having a bad day and is only 4.

DS2's teacher once pulled me up as he'd hit 16 children in the class...he'd flipped and attacked them all. It didn't happen again and I didn't get any letter just a word.

Lizzylou Mon 05-Oct-09 13:45:30

DS1 scratched another boys face during playtime, I was mortified. I am good friends with the other boys Mom as well blush
DS1 said he was just playing Powerrangers hmm
Teacher had a word with me and that was that.

He plays football at breaktime now!

MrsWicket Mon 05-Oct-09 13:47:48

thanks for your comments lady – I feel reassured.

Part of the problem I think is that her and her older sister get into shoving matches at home when they fight – the classic 'she hit me' 'she hit me first' type thing. Have spoken to DD1 too about not doing it.

MrsWicket Mon 05-Oct-09 13:48:27

oops! ladies blush

atworknotworking Mon 05-Oct-09 18:34:53

Your'e not alone MrsWicket, I am CM and had 3 teachers having a word at pick up time on Friday must have been a bad day all round.

This sort of thing happens quite often when the little ones start school, it's a big change and very tiring for them especially by the end of the week, even very well behaved children sometimes get a bit tetchy.

I expect the teacher will be sending a letter just so that you know what happened as it's CM that collects.

hotpotato11 Wed 07-Oct-09 09:33:37

Don;t be mortified. You know what, I bet if she was a boy they wouldnt even have mentioned it because it is so commonplace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now