Talk

Advanced search

Would you speak to head?

(18 Posts)
stonethecrows Sat 03-Oct-09 17:07:50

Our DD is in Year 1, teacher listens to reading once a fortnight (have posted on this previously), and there are 31 children in the class.

Should we approach (new) head and ask why there is no TA in this class?

franklymydear Sat 03-Oct-09 17:08:45

you can ask

they don't need to have a TA

primarymum Sat 03-Oct-09 17:27:05

Perhaps they can't afford one.

mrz Sat 03-Oct-09 17:27:12

I would ask why there are 31 children before I ask about TAs.

stonethecrows Sat 03-Oct-09 17:55:22

There are 31 children because that's how many applied to the school, I guess?

Are there rules that cover this, does anybody know?

mrz Sat 03-Oct-09 18:31:04

Infant class size rules states 30 children to 1 teacher 31 children require 2 teachers not a teacher and TA.

DandyLioness Sat 03-Oct-09 18:43:45

Message withdrawn

stonethecrows Sat 03-Oct-09 18:56:07

I think they may get away with it because they are in a "unit" (ie effectively same classroom) with Year 2s who have their own teacher - and I think the Year 2 class is a few children smaller. Year 2 teacher, however, does not actually teach the Year 1s.

Do these rules apply in Wales too? Should add this is not a complaint against the teacher, she is lovely, just seems rather a large class.

Hassled Sat 03-Oct-09 19:01:14

Within KS1 (so up to the end of Yr2) there should be 30 per class. If the Yr2 class is 29 and yours is 31, but each has there own teacher and they are not taught together as one unit, then they are doing something wrong. Unless the 31st child is Statemented and has his/her own LSA (1-1), in which case you can go over.

There is no obligation to have a TA but it is considered good practice, at least part time. I guess they would say it's a budgetary issue - but it does sound odd/unusual. The school budget has to be spent somewhere - if most schools can afford to fund Part Time TAs it's odd that this school can't. So yes, talk to the Head and move swiftly onto the Governors (try and find someone on the Finance Committee) if you're not happy.

Hassled Sat 03-Oct-09 19:01:45

their own teacher

andlipsticktoo Sat 03-Oct-09 19:02:52

Best to talk to the head if you have concerns about reading.

Maybe teacher listens to groups of readers, and only listens to individuals once a fortnight - though I agree this seems too infrequent.

I think 30 is the limit in KS1 unless instructed by County Council to take more - but I would chedk with the HT.

Do you have concerns about your dc's progress?

mrz Sat 03-Oct-09 19:42:24

I'm not sure when it comes into effect in Wales but the plan is for a much higher adult to child ratio (1-15?)

Jux Sat 03-Oct-09 19:47:21

Can you go down once a week and help with the reading?

Hassled Sat 03-Oct-09 19:48:51

mrz - is that just in Wales? Does that mean a change in per-pupil funding?

mrz Sat 03-Oct-09 20:09:26

Wales has introduced the Foundation Phase (3-7 years of age) rather than the English EYFS
foundation Phase

stonethecrows Sat 03-Oct-09 21:28:10

Thankyou for all your rwplies.

Jux - lots of parental help is offered, and I do believe that DDs class does get some. As soon as youngest is in nursery I will also offer. I think the parents in the school are by and large very supportive.

Mrz - as I understand it the school is trying to implement ethos of the EYFS in yr 1 and 2, just without the staff at the moment!

There are no statemented students in the class, but there are 2 sets of twins if that makes any difference (although the twins were not the last ones into the class

lilackaty Sat 03-Oct-09 22:29:53

I teach year 1 and have not heard 1 child read this year.
We will be starting guided reading very soon so I will hear them then.
I do have a TA though and she has a list of children she hears daily - those whose parents do not read with them. We have 2 parents who help out and they read but don't comment in the children's books - they have their own. Those who bring their books in have them checked and changed when needed.
It really depends on the reading scheme in the school I think. For example, my children's school is very random but my school has a scheme and the children are only allowed to move up when an adult in school has heard them.
In short, I would speak to the head if, as someone else said, you are concerned about her progress. 31 is a lot and I would struggle to cope without any support. Are you sure there isn't a TA that comes in just for mornings and your dd just doesn't mention her/him?

mrz Sun 04-Oct-09 08:19:37

There is no requirement to have a TA in any class (except in nursery classes larger than 13 children). The legal staffing levels for reception (EYFS) is 1 teacher to 30 children.

Any infant class that has a majority of Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 pupils must be limited to a maximum of 30 pupils to one qualified teacher in all ordinary teaching sessions.
An ordinary teaching session is every lesson during the school day, except for school assemblies, music, drama or sports lessons.
Any infant class with more than 30 pupils must therefore have at least two FTE qualified teachers.
A teacher must have been awarded qualified teacher status; any other adult in the class cannot be considered as a teacher.

LEAs and governing bodies may not refuse to admit children into Reception where the number of pupils is below the school’s Published Admission Number (PAN). The PAN is determined annually by the relevant admission authority.
However, applications for places in Years 1 and 2 may be refused admission where the number of pupils is below the PAN and the admission will cause infant class size prejudice. Infant class size prejudice would arise when the admission would require the school to create an additional class with an additional qualified teacher for the current or future years. Under these circumstances you may wish to check with Pupil Support Unit (PSU) before refusing a place. Parents are entitled to appeal against any decision not to admit a child.

Excepted pupils
In extremely limited circumstances, an infant class may have more than 30 pupils.
Pupils may be admitted in unforeseen circumstances, e.g.
• Where a child moves into an area outside the normal admissions round and there is no other school within a reasonable distance (for advice contact PSU).
• Where a child receives a statement of special educational needs naming the school, outside the normal admissions round.
• Where an extra place has to be offered because an error has been made in the admissions process that leads to a pupil being refused a place incorrectly.
• Where an appeal panel decides that an admission authority has made an error which denied the child a place or has acted unreasonably in initially refusing to admit a pupil.
Pupils admitted for the above reasons are classed as excepted pupils. The class may remain in excess of 30 pupils only for the remainder of the academic year. The following September the school will need to agree arrangements with the LEA to comply with the limit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now