Talk

Advanced search

Able Y4 dd but worried about her lack of progress in her written work, should I worry or not?

(11 Posts)
lexcat Fri 02-Oct-09 13:38:21

Loves maths and just seems to progress with that at a fast rate every year. Likes books and has a high reading age over 11+. Her problem is her written work, handwriting not bad she's got lots of ideas yet she would put it on paper.

Started school and with in a very short time was doing Y1 work. I never tried to push her as I didn't enjoy school and was only to happy it was easy for her and she enjoyed school. Y1 it was "her lack of written work lets her down". We have struggled ever since and in Y2 they spit the top table she went to the lower one. Y3 she was put down a group again in hope it might inspire her. Now my worry is she seems to have moved for literacy down a group again.

Writing more then 3-4 sentences is very rare for her. She ends up been kept in because she's not finished her written work. That's not just at literacy any subject that things have to be written down. "Just seems to switch off and be in a world of her own" as her teacher puts it.

NancyBotwin Fri 02-Oct-09 13:43:48

Sounds exactly like my ds! Have the teachers suggested anything you can do at home to help? Do you think she is able to do the work (but doesn't concentrate enough) or there may be something else going on?

I think it is common for a child to dislike writing esp if they are strong in other areas like maths (I was like this - could do it but always gave the most concise answers possible - a teacher once told me I wrote like a boy!)

I would be concerned that she is falling further and further behind and the school should be too - could you ask fro a meeting with the class teacher and the SENCO to discuss an action plan?

lexcat Fri 02-Oct-09 14:02:28

I think she very able of doing the work, her Y2 teacher was alwayes was telling me she showed her ture colour at carpet time when she was alwayes the first to put her hand up and was alwayes one step a head of the class with her anserers. My sister has a stiupidty high IQ and my mother is alwayes telling my dd is just like her aunt very bright and able if not brighter.

Personally I really don't care how bright she is as long as she's happy and progessing as she should which I'm not sure she is.

lexcat Fri 02-Oct-09 14:24:11

Sorry didn't read your whole reply, so you think I should take it as far. My mother suggested taking her to an educational psychologist which I thought was over the top but she had to do that for me because I was having problem at school and was diagnosed with age 9. I have to say I was pleased she did as I was no longer the stupid child and instead for the first time got some help at school.

As dd reading is fantastic and when she bothers the writting is ok and the spellings not bad so can rule out dyslexia. If she is like her aunt (gifted) I really can't see how the label is going to help her.

lexcat Fri 02-Oct-09 14:26:10

diagnosed with age 9 _with dyslexia_
sorry so how missed that bit.

NancyBotwin Fri 02-Oct-09 16:33:41

Yes I think you should take it further - Ofsted don't just monitor SATs results, they look at how children make progress through their whole time at school so the school should be keep records of every child and take action if they are not making progress.

Tbh I am not sure that moving a (bright) child down an ability group is always the answer - sometimes they are more spurred on the try harder if they are in a group of more sensible, studious children, iyswim. And often the sort of work they do at school can be pretty uninspiring so it can be tempting to just switch off if it's not very interesting to her...

Go see the teacher, ask her what she is doing to improve things and how you can back her up with that at home. Imvho, a good teacher will be able to sort it out herself, without the need for loads of input at home or an educational pysch (all assuming there is no underlying problem of course)

lexcat Fri 02-Oct-09 19:19:28

Talk to last year teacher lots and got no where. I found her last teacher alwayes what me to notice how well she was doing in her maths and reading. I think that fact she doing alright and even thought the written work is a problem she has managed to stay on target for her age. The fact she is making little progess in her writing was a problem he didn't really have time for.

upamountain Fri 02-Oct-09 20:20:15

My dd was similar in year 4 and it seems to have finally begun to come together in Year 5 - even I'm surprised at her improvement .

She had the ideas just couldn't get down more than a few lines often.Her teachers said her written work didn't reflect her ideas and ability.

I don't think keeping your dd in to finish work at break will work as an inspiration to write more though.I think it is very daunting to be faced by a blank sheet and start writing and check all the other things they are being told to do such as spelling,grammer,handwriting.

I did a search here last year and came up with a few ideas of things to do with her at home.Here are a few I can remember:

Tape record some of her ideas or you scribe for her.

Do consequence type games(verbally) where you create a story together taking it in time to add a line.

Look at a dull passage together and think of words you could change for exciting ones or you could add more detail to make it more interesting.

Pick a really interesting picture from a favourite book and write 3/4 sentances about what she can see.You can write alongside your dd , let her see how you think about which words to use and how you check your spellings and read it through to check it makes sense.

Mind map.Who,what,why,when,where gives a plan for a story.Spend 10 minutes discusing who was there,what they were doing,why were they doing it,when did it happen and where was it going.

If she is a good reader it should all be there is is getting her inspired to do something she finds difficult and giving her lots of praise to inspire her.Ask her teacher for what would help.

jennifersofia Fri 02-Oct-09 20:30:02

Do you know what level she is at for her age? (Eg. I would expect her to be somewhere around a 3C or 3B for Year 4). I am a Y4 teacher, but very new to Y4, so don't feel I have much advice to offer. I personally would feel concerned, and would take it further. I would have a make and appointment to have a chat with her current teacher, and possibly speak to the SENCo. Teachers are very different to each other, and you may find this one more responsive.
Also, what does she say about it? Does she find it is too much effort? Does she find it hard, if so, which part is difficult? Does she understand why it would be good to write more? Does she have any ideas about what might help her with her writing?- It might be an illuminating conversation.

lexcat Sat 03-Oct-09 08:53:19

Thanks upthemountain you have given me some hope. She loves words and we often play verbal word game. She also has a family friend who writes poems with her. Very good vocabulary for her age. Plus she's a litte book worm.

If she didn't seem to have all the skills to be a great writer I wouldn't worry.

jennifersofia she was a 2a at the end of Y3.I have in the past spoken to her about her writing and how we could help her. To many ideas and to little time, where to start where to stop, writing takes to much time and I don't like writing.

MadameDefarge Thu 08-Oct-09 18:30:20

lexcat, it might be worth asking for an OT assessment for her. I had the same issue with my ds, and finally got him assessed and lo and behold, he has very poor muscle tone and problems with proprioception, which meant it took him ages to write anything and had a very fierce grip...

Now we know he is doing exercises to help, and doing more activities such as extra swimming and piano to help build core body strength and improve his fine motor skills...still pretty slow, but we know there is a reason, and he is slowly getting improving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now