Talk

Advanced search

Should reading be done in a quiet area at school?

(8 Posts)
Cortina Wed 30-Sep-09 10:56:22

Just musing. I help out in the office at the school but also have started helping with the children's reading.

We are given a small amount of time to hear 6 children, which is one issue. I'd like longer, at the moment I average about 3/4 pages of each child's book. That's one thing.

The other thing is the reading happens in a communal area. It's spacious but noisy sometimes (other classes use it for free play). A couple of weeks back a couple of boys were pretending to be jets which was distracting for the boy I was listening too as he wanted to join in! Not always like this but sometimes.

When I was at school we had a 'quiet room' which was for this sort of thing, a sort of mini library in a study type room with a door.

It doesn't seem to be stopping them progress. They are so fluent and confident and lovely kids too!

noideawhereIamgoing Wed 30-Sep-09 11:15:13

I think a quieter area would be better but do school resources stretch to that?. I also agree that sometimes I do feel very pushed for time...some kids take ages to sort themselves out and I do like to have a short chat about the book before we start, helps to break the ice and help them understand the book a little better.
We are supposed to have 5 mins per child, it's no time at all.

Cortina Wed 30-Sep-09 11:25:07

No I guess if there was a quiet place, we'd be using it It's a fairly new building they obviously used to factor these things in in the 70s but not now. The classroom is larger than they need so they could fence off a corner of that or similar now I think more on the subject.

Agree about the ice breaking I do the same. I have a similar time and would be happier with 10 mins per child. Before I've done this I assumed the parent helper read the whole book with the child!

Parents are doing a great job of reading with children at home, kids enthusiasm knows no bounds! I'd like to have more time to chat about their favourite books etc!

ICANDOTHAT Wed 30-Sep-09 11:45:49

YES ! ... but sadly it depends on how much room the school has. My son is dx ADHD and can only concentrate in a quiet area ... however, his bloody teacher insists on hearing him in a classroom with 29 other kids chatting and moving about - drives me bonkers. I'd rather they sat in the corridor angry (sorry, bit of a rant)

Cortina Wed 30-Sep-09 11:48:38

What's wrong with the corridor? Two chairs etc? There is an area we could use but it is quite a way from the classroom, perhaps these days you need to be in teacher's sight?

We used to trek off with the parent helper to the 'quiet room' a short distance away.

buy1get1free Wed 30-Sep-09 11:52:32

I was serious ... I really would rather he sat and read in the corridor, far quieter. Anywhere that didn't have so many distractions - it would be so simple.

Cortina Wed 30-Sep-09 12:04:57

No I am with you, wasn't being sarcastic. I think it's a good idea why not if it's roomy enough? There are only 2 people there?

I almost gave birth in a corridor so if it's ok for that, quiet reading should be ok!

buy1get1free Wed 30-Sep-09 12:06:44

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now