Talk

Advanced search

year 3 reading ds is he being held back?

(4 Posts)
trace2 Tue 29-Sep-09 17:04:06

ds is a fantastic reader but since being back as brought home the same book he had from last year we have put he as read it and fully understands and they wont move him on . tbh we not worried as he reads his own books at home but i dont want him falling behind in class talked to other parents and they had 3 new books since start of term!

we did ask last year why they stick to order even when they bore him he really should be on free reading by now. do i just leave it or go and have a word dont want to come across pushy?

Hulababy Tue 29-Sep-09 17:52:32

WE have had similar situation this year with DD (also in Y3). Was free reading last year, now on reading schemes again. Others in same situation from what I can gather from DD. Have spoken to teacher and she did move DD up some levels, but still not great. DD is finding the scheme books boring and I am a littlw worried it might affect her reading overall. They are so boring, esp when read out loud, it is affected her fluency, etc as she is rushing and trying to skip ahead.

But have bought her some new books for home today and she is reading them beautifully, so not too concerned yet.

I have however, just tonight, made a comment along these lines in her homework diary for the teacher. So we shall see if anything is said I guess.

trace2 Tue 29-Sep-09 18:05:57

thanks Hulababy yes i remember your dd being same age as ds we have to made comments of this in his reading diary and we know other children as been moved on! we have app on friday with his teacher i was going to give her more time but talking to other parents saying they had 3 books from term i need to go in and ask why?

Hulababy Wed 30-Sep-09 18:28:51

Worth commenting I reckon.

DD came home with a proper book tonight, which she had been reading fluently, confidently, with expression - and most importabtly with enthusiasm and interest. I am definitely going to keep pushing if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now