Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for a reception class to watch Dora the Explorer in class??

(9 Posts)
areallyboringnickname Fri 25-Sep-09 18:04:30

I'm told by (usually fairly reliable) dd that they did this today. They are only doing 2 and three quarter hours a day so this seems a bit off to me.

Lazy teaching or normal?

areallyboringnickname Fri 25-Sep-09 18:05:13

Badly written thread title - I suppose I mean is it normal to watch non-educational TV in class.

LadyMuck Fri 25-Sep-09 18:06:40

Not normal ie not a weekly activity. But not unknown either. Usually a wet play/urgent staff mtg/end of term activity.

Sagacious Fri 25-Sep-09 18:07:27

Dora's V educational

DD's Spanish was applauded on our summer holiday.

areallyboringnickname Fri 25-Sep-09 18:25:56

I would be ok about it if it were any of those things Ladymuck but term's only just started, it's a glorious sunny day, there are only 24 in the class at the moment and two teachers and they're only there for less than three hours a day.

They were watching something like Ben 10 one time when we visited last term hmm

roundabout1 Fri 25-Sep-09 20:03:25

Hi I don't know whether it is normal but know I'd be thining it was a bit off too. Fair enough if short staffed or it's raining but when they are there for such a short period does seem a bit strange. I know dd used to regularly watch tv in the last term at nursery. I didn't mind when it was ocassionally but became quite a regular thing & I wasn't too happy.

dizzyday07 Fri 25-Sep-09 20:14:24

My DD said they had watched Charlie & Lola today hmm

mrz Fri 25-Sep-09 20:14:46

It depends why it was being watched. Are they using Dora as a child friendly way to look at other countries or languages? Or was it a treat/Golden Time?
not acceptable if used as a time filler however.

areallyboringnickname Fri 25-Sep-09 20:24:55

It might have been some sort of golden time but I just don't know as we haven't been told if they have that system. Seems a bit strange to me.

I asked dd if the teacher asked them questions afterwards and she said no but that might not be true.

Given so far they've all just been playing (which I'm fine with) and another batch of children started today, I can't see that it would have been an educational thing but who knows.

I can't and won't say anything for now to the teacher as I've a good relationship with them and it's not worth spoiling it and being seen as a pain over one TV watching session but if it happens on a regular basis and it's not educational stuff then maybe I will ask about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now