Talk

Advanced search

What would you do? I'd like your advice please

(11 Posts)
Bomper Fri 25-Sep-09 14:03:02

Dd2 had been on an IEP since she was at Nursery, at the end of Reception in July her teacher told me she felt there was no need for her to be on it anymore, and took her off. She told me that she had spoken to her new Year 1 teacher and explained that she may need more time to settle in than the others and to go easy on her. On Wednesday, dd told me that she hadn't gone to assembly with the others and had to sit with the teacher doing work. When I queried this with her teacher the next day she told me that dd was back on IEP, probably only for this term and that I would get a letter to come in for a meeting to discuss this. I am a bit miffed that she was put back on this without my knowledge or input, and that the first I heard about it was through dd.

Should I say something to the teacher/head or am I over-reacting?

Bomper Fri 25-Sep-09 14:45:58

Anyone?

englishpatient Fri 25-Sep-09 15:14:32

You sound unhappy about the IEP. What was it in place for?

tulip27 Fri 25-Sep-09 15:21:56

what is IEP?

englishpatient Fri 25-Sep-09 15:47:56

Individual Education Plan.

madusa Fri 25-Sep-09 17:05:02

i thought that the school were supposed to discuss the new targets with you and that you were meant to sign the bottom of the IEP to say that you had seen them?

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 25-Sep-09 17:16:29

I'd say you were over-reacting a bit tbh - sounds as though new teacher has assessed your dd and felt she would benefit from a further IEP - nothing to worry about and it's good because she will get help/support she needs. If you're getting a letter for the meeting, then I imagine that's when you'll go through the targets and countersign etc.

Bomper Fri 25-Sep-09 17:38:34

They think dd has problems with attention and interacting with her peers. She was referred to a speech therapist who found her speech/understanding was actually beyond what it should be for her age. Dd is very strong-willed and confident, and I feel it is just a case of dd being dd, and because she doesn't fit in to how the school want her to be she is labelled with problems, that as far as I can see, just aren't there.

noideawhereIamgoing Fri 25-Sep-09 17:41:38

I think that's pretty poor communication, the teacher should have said something, rather than you finding out through your child. It's done now though, I'd move on.

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 25-Sep-09 18:12:46

But I don't think it's necess labelling her - you can look at it that way, but it sounds more as if they're very quiick to sport something that isn't quite usual and act on it immediately. My school has been terrible at pinpointing and acting on issues so IEP's have been done far too late.

I wouldn't worry. smile. When you get your appointment, thinkof a list of queries you need to ask.

cat64 Fri 25-Sep-09 18:46:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now