Talk

Advanced search

Books for a 5-yr-old boy, just beginning to read, for him to enjoy reading?

(11 Posts)
Prunerz Thu 24-Sep-09 17:31:48

He is doing ORT at school. It's going well, and I'd like him to see reading as a pleasure iyswim.

I've had a look at books but the storybooks for 'confident readers' are way out of reach for him.

The only alternatives seem to be either more ORT read at home stuff, or reprints of Peter and Jane. Not likely to make him think 'hang on, this is a nice way to spend time...'

In the meantime I've bought him a comic book, mostly too hard BUT he is voluntarily taking it upstairs to read by himself, so that's a plus (both the reading and the taking it upstairs grin PEACE)

What else is there in that vein?

nickschick Thu 24-Sep-09 17:33:20

I used to buy old annuals with shorter picture stories in then we moved on to .....horrid henry

noideawhereIamgoing Thu 24-Sep-09 17:37:18

Get yourself off to the library, the beginning to read section is fantastic - at this stage they go through too many books to be funding it yourself.

gingertoo Thu 24-Sep-09 17:39:27

I used a set of 'red nose readers' with my boys to supplement the ORT scheme.
They are brilliant - loads of fun - my boys loved them

(I'm hopeless with links but you can get them on amazon!)

Hulababy Thu 24-Sep-09 17:41:45

There are loads of early reader books available now. Most librares stock some of the most popular sets so it is worth going and having a look. If you find a particular series he likes then you can buy more.

As already mentioned the Red Nose Readers are great - and funny, which children love.

Blue Bananas are good. There are different colours depending on reading ability.

I ill go and see if I can find some others.

Hulababy Thu 24-Sep-09 17:54:39

Blue Bananas
I Can Read
Happy Families
I Wonder Why
Bubblefacts
First Young Puffin
Colour Young Puffin
Corgi Pups
Dr Suess (these are levelled for ability too)
Colour Young Hippo
Usbourne Young Reading
Usbourne Young Puzzle Adventures
Orchard Crunchies
Orchard Crackers
I am Reading
Leapfrog
Ready Steady Read
Colour Crackers
M&S First Readers (they do all the fairy stories in a lovely easy to read format)
Topsy and Tim
Winnie the Witch
Alan Ahlberg's books about the Gaskitt Family (Cat who got carried away, etc)
Charlie and Lola books (good for new long words)
Red Nose Readers
Blue Bananas

The above are some of the ranges of books DD enjoyed when first becoming confident at reading. They do vary in abaility so it is worth having a look if you can first. These tend to have anything between 1 and 5/6 sentences per page and lots of colour pictures.

Many children are put of chapter books, etc because of the lack of lovely colour images, lots of writing on the page and the fact that the writing is much smaller and scrunched together. The above, IME, are a good in between stage.

Prunerz Thu 24-Sep-09 17:56:23

Wow thank you all esp Hulababy for that list!
I hadn't thought of eg Winnie the Witch, because we read them together as toddler books. We have a few of those for starters.

Hulababy Thu 24-Sep-09 17:58:16

Go back and look at some of his old books. He will love the fact that he can read them to himself!

The Hungry Caterpillar is another one that is already included in many schools book banding systems.

Prunerz Thu 24-Sep-09 17:59:40

Fabulous. Thanks. (Am new to this!)

sunburntats Thu 24-Sep-09 18:05:01

LIBRARY! defo the library defo.

I dont tend to get ds to read them himself, instead i read, and then we talk about the pictures.
Done this since he was a baby.

It has just suddenly "clicked" with him and he has begun to read things on telly, signs, things on mags so i have started to get him to read a page in Topsy & (bastard) Tim. i fecking well HATE T&T but ds loves them)

He is happy to do this because he is so familiar with the stories, he knows them fluently now!

I suppose the point im making is, dont push it, give it time to "click" for him.

sunburntats Thu 24-Sep-09 18:06:40

oooh and familiar bookes, get him to tell you where words are in the text..so tell me where the word "and" is.
This boosts theiur confidence 100000%

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now