Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Children have to do star jumps when they yawn in class?

(24 Posts)
geekgirl Thu 24-Sep-09 09:18:02

We have a newish head, and this is his latest brainchild hmm. Even if they're caught yawning discreetly behind a hand, the children in his class (years 5 & 6) have to go to the hall to do 10 star jumps every time they yawn.

Dd1 has allergies, and particularly suffers with house dustmites. Despite anti-allergy bedding, antihistamines etc., she often has problems getting to sleep and is tired the next day as a result. It's not her fault. I just thought... WTF?!

ParisFrog Thu 24-Sep-09 09:20:44

I doubt it will last once the children realise they have a perfect excuse to leave class to jump about a bit!

I don't think making children be active to wake them up is unreasonable.

FernieB Thu 24-Sep-09 09:22:00

Seems a bit daft. How long will it take the kids to realise that to get out of a lesson for a few minutes they just have to yawn?

With respect to your DD - send a note in explaining the situation.

Greensleeves Thu 24-Sep-09 09:23:38

ludicrous

complain

JackBauer Thu 24-Sep-09 09:25:14

I had to reread your name then to check this wasn't a wind up!
I can sense yawning competitions coming on..... and why is it so bad to be tired?

Blu Thu 24-Sep-09 09:27:37

Is it a punishment, or a way to get small children, who really should be doing more jumping and less sitting in stuffy classrooms, to be able to get more oxygen onto their systems?

If I am yawning at my desk at work I often get up and have walk around - star jumps would certainly help me brush away that 'falling alseep after lunch' feeling.

Slubberdegullion Thu 24-Sep-09 09:27:56

We yawn or sigh six times per hour [factoid]. Oh I used to know why, hmmm something about end tidal capacity I think, there are graphs and things...anyway we all do it, perfectly normal, doesn't mean they are particularly bored or tired.

Complain brandishing sciency factoid, I'm sure the new head will be most interested grin

geekgirl Thu 24-Sep-09 09:28:10

I just thought... what a knob hmm. We're a little village school and the previous head was all warm and friendly. This one tries very hard but I can't hack his style. It's a small class - 14 children, all well-behaved. No need for military-style drill.

Slubberdegullion Thu 24-Sep-09 09:30:36

oh Blu shock more oxygen into their systems ?!
<<wrong science klaxon>>

Oh no, I imagine all the children at the OP's school will have O2 sats of 99-100% wink

JackBauer Thu 24-Sep-09 09:45:51

It is difficult to know how muhc of a knob he is being without knowing why he is doing it.
If it is just to wake them up then I can see what he is trying to do, but it's badly thought out and will be a nightmare for teachers to regulate (will there be someone in teh hall at all times to watch them do it? What about disruption to the class etc etc)
Or is it a 'punishment' for being too tired to pay attention? In which case he is a twat.

MintyCane Thu 24-Sep-09 09:49:59

What a meanie complain.

Blu Thu 24-Sep-09 09:50:02

Oh sorry blush

I thought there was something proper-sciencey about yawning, though, and it was to stimulate breathing? I forget what.

Arts grad wink

Blu Thu 24-Sep-09 09:54:04

Oh, definitely complain, anyway, because even though he has had enough experience in schools to be a Head, he will never have thought of the 'deiberate yawning' ploy, and he won't have a clue that his poor teachers are having to deal with this nightmare, and they won't be able to say so in a staff meeting, and he won't have thought through provision of a yawning supervisor, etc etc.

Best complain.

choccyp1g Thu 24-Sep-09 09:58:59

Can't help yawning reading this thread. It's catching isn't it? So if the teacher draws attention to the yawner, then someone else will yawn, and soon the whole class will be doing star jumps. [gets up to do some star jumps]

Slubberdegullion Thu 24-Sep-09 10:00:14

grin

I think a yawn is stimulated by something, possibly CO2 levels. Oh I can't rememeber. I do remember being suprised and amazed that we do it unconsciously 6 times an hour, that's the sort of thing to impress dinner party guests with.

Science grad but a long time ago now wink

stealthsquiggle Thu 24-Sep-09 10:03:44

That's just silly.

In DS's reception class, if the teacher decided that they were all reaching a point where they weren't concentrating, she would randomly hoosh them outside for 10 minutes running around getting the silliness/tiredness out of their systems, and then back in to concentrate, but by year 5 & 6 if it hasn't resulted in the whole class being out in the corridor star-jumping and giggling then they must be a peculiarly boring rule abiding set of children.

Blu Thu 24-Sep-09 10:04:16

And jumping does make you breathe more...I think it is something to do with CO2 levels, too...

I'm not suggesting they massage their arteries through bones a la Brain Gym, you know, Slubber! wink

(Grade A A level biology, in old money..you know before the exams got easier)

stealthsquiggle Thu 24-Sep-09 10:05:49

why we yawn (well, sort of!)

Slubberdegullion Thu 24-Sep-09 10:10:26

If you massage the carotid sinus in your neck your heart rate drops.

[Spock]

I doubt the head will want that sort of thing going on much though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 24-Sep-09 10:16:46

<yawn>

Its a terribly compulsive word isn't it!

Blu Thu 24-Sep-09 10:17:55

Slubber - I agree, carotid artery massage sounds WAY too mujch like deadly unarmed combat.

Would giving them amphetamines be better, do you think?

geekgirl Thu 24-Sep-09 10:19:28

oh and the other teachers in that class (it's taught by three part-timers including the head) have been told to enforce it too.
Today's teacher said she'd turn a blind eye to dd1's tiredness.
I do actually think he's a total knob. It's not the first knobbish thing he's done.

Slubberdegullion Thu 24-Sep-09 12:28:17

He does sound like a plonker geekgirl, I think Stealthy's whole class whooshing sounds much better idea.

Blu, hmmm I think amphetamines sound an expensive idea. Perhaps one one those flashbang grenades lobbed into the class by the Head would be a cheaper and more inclusive option.

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 24-Sep-09 12:48:41

I think a flashbang is the way to go, a rookscarer would do it - huge dose of adrenaline and voila awake class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now