Talk

Advanced search

Year 3 reading question...

(4 Posts)
zisforzebra Tue 22-Sep-09 20:56:40

DS has just moved to a new junior school from infants (previous school was infants only). He became a free reader at the end of year two and has bought home a couple of chapter books of his own choosing since starting back to school. However, in the last two weeks, he has bought home level 6 Oxford Reading Tree books. He's chosen them himself and says he liked them and wanted to read them again.

I'm not sure whether to ask his teacher to steer him away from them since he read them in year 1 or to just let him read whatever he wants. I'm not trying to push him into reading books he doesn't want to but these book aren't really helping him progress.

Feenie Tue 22-Sep-09 21:01:12

If he was in my class, I would compromise - one Stage 6 book that he obviously remembers enjoying and feels 'safe'(particularly if this is a new school), and one book that is different and more likely to extend his reading skills.

zisforzebra Tue 22-Sep-09 21:25:46

Thanks Feenie. That's a great compromise. I'll ask his teacher if she could help with that. I'm not a pushy mum, I'm happy if he's happy, but equally I want him to know that there's a world of books out there to enjoy. smile

Hulababy Tue 22-Sep-09 21:27:30

Think Feenie's idea sounds like a good one to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now