Talk

Advanced search

Deadlines for primary school applications

(6 Posts)
PiperG Tue 22-Sep-09 20:13:05

We are hoping to move to a different borough soon (house not quite on market yet though) but now I am worrying about school applications: deadline for applying for reception places for 2010/11 entry is mostly end Jan, and we prob won't have moved by then (unless miracles happen!). Does this mean that it will be very hard for us to get our daughter into the school we would like? Are late applications a big problem? This is really like asking how long is a piece of string, I realise ... or is it quite normal for people to apply late for primary schools ... any reassurance/experiences welcome! Gawd, I promised myself I wouldn't get in a flap about primary schools, and here we go ...

captainpig Tue 22-Sep-09 20:43:21

You need to speak to the Education Dept in the Borough that you are moving too, they should be able to answer your questions. In this county the application deadline is early November.

PiperG Tue 22-Sep-09 20:47:49

We are in London - the deadlines in most boroughs do seem to be Jan/Feb. I do need to check with boroughs though, instead of sitting here fretting!

Teddimac Tue 22-Sep-09 21:01:41

PiperG, definitely check as soon as you can - applications for schools in our London borough are open already, closing date is early December. As far as I know, any applications beyond that date are considered as late and therefore go to the back of the queue, although your position on any waiting lists would presumably still depend on your distance from whatever schools you're applying to.

You should probably also apply to schools in your existing borough right now in case your plans change!

RustyBear Tue 22-Sep-09 21:03:54

Some LAs keep places for children moving in to the area, some don't - try the authority's website - they will normally have admissions information.

PiperG Tue 22-Sep-09 21:07:16

Thanks Teddimac. Have been looking at our local schools, and will def be applying in this borough in case moving all falls through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now