Talk

Advanced search

My son had his first invite to a party- the child in question has a website dedicated to the day. Is this normal party ettiquette for a 5 year old?

(102 Posts)
DrSpaceman Mon 21-Sep-09 16:41:37

They barely know each other as they have only just started school.

The website is really sweet but I can't help but feel horrified at how slick it is. There is a family profile, a wish list of presents, the games they will play and what the day will consist of and photos of the previous years photos with cake etc.

I was hoping my ds could have a few friends round for tea with lots of coloured food and some donkey tail pinning.

I am a novice at this and look to the vipers and their wisdom to put me right on all matters normal/crazy with this schooling lark.

I have namechanged as I suspected supermum may be a mumsnetter/Fly type wink

Lizzylou Mon 21-Sep-09 16:42:32

OMG shock

How very OTT.

hullygully Mon 21-Sep-09 16:43:06

Completely normal. Step up to the technology. At my dc's school they use telepathy - one better.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 21-Sep-09 16:44:42

rofl

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 21-Sep-09 16:44:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thirtysomething Mon 21-Sep-09 16:45:07

Wow have never heard of this before and my kids are seasoned party-goers!! Sounds way OTT and to be honest a bit cheeky to have wish-list of presents!!! Is this in the UK? Am wondering if they are maybe from a different part of the world where such things are usual?

Hulababy Mon 21-Sep-09 16:46:37

Gosh, definitely sounds OTT!

7y DD has been to fair few parties over the years and we have never known this.

DrSpaceman Mon 21-Sep-09 16:46:44

The telepathy would save on paper which is marvellous.

The website address came rolled up and attached onto the stick of a lollypop.

Mum/Dad must be in PR. It did not say that on the website.

undercoverelephant Mon 21-Sep-09 16:47:33

a website? really?!

I'm with you on the coloured food/donkey tail idea.

Only thing I would say is that (round our way, at least) it's common practice to invite the whole reception class, since friendship groups have yet to be formed. I was appalled when I heard this, but then realised that lots of parents had doubled up, thereby sharing party costs/duties.

hullygully Mon 21-Sep-09 16:49:03

They have the parties by telepathy too. They all sit in their own houses and party in their heads. It's fab - no clearing up.

fiercebadrabbit Mon 21-Sep-09 16:49:44

Any chance of posting the link, so we can all step up to the mark wink

twelveyeargap Mon 21-Sep-09 16:52:36

They must have slaves at home who either do this stuff for them, or who do everything else while they fart about sticking web addresses to lolly sticks. I am aghast.

tearinghairout Mon 21-Sep-09 16:52:57

Not normal, thankfully. Mine were always v. happy drawing faces on paper plates & running round the garden! And I wouldn't invite the whole class, the 'rule' is as many kids as the birthday, so 5 for a 5yo, otherwise gets too out of control.

They sound scary.

DrSpaceman Mon 21-Sep-09 16:54:03

No!

bodeniites Mon 21-Sep-09 16:54:30

i think the donkey tail/coloured food sounds brilliant Id much rather go to that party

undercoverelephant Mon 21-Sep-09 16:54:49

That's a good rule, tearinghair.

ramonaquimby Mon 21-Sep-09 16:56:51

maybe just a really keen parent, wanting to show off their ict skills.

JeffVadar Mon 21-Sep-09 17:00:04

Good Grief, now I've heard everything!

UnquietDad Mon 21-Sep-09 17:01:47

How terrifyingly organised.

Or, if you prefer - someone has too much time on their hands. I wonder why that could be?....

DrSpaceman Mon 21-Sep-09 17:02:32

Can I confess to being secretly jealous? blush

I am though! It is so well done and I wish that I was as clever to do something that cool for my dc

I am however very glad that it is not normal ,coloured food and paper invites will have to suffice.!

Ripeberry Mon 21-Sep-09 17:03:21

LOL! But have they got permission from the other parents for photo's from last year being shown?
Data protection!
What a total waste of webspace!

FanjolinaJolie Mon 21-Sep-09 17:04:29

So OTT I can hardly believe it.

bigchris Mon 21-Sep-09 17:15:36

do you live in America? a present wish list fgs!

thedollshouse Mon 21-Sep-09 17:17:22

shock

DrSpaceman Mon 21-Sep-09 17:20:35

Surrey blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now