Talk

Advanced search

Would you move your dc to a new school if she had already been in 3 schools but you knew she would be better off at new one?

(22 Posts)
Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 21-Sep-09 16:38:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 21-Sep-09 16:39:29

Disenchanted3 Mon 21-Sep-09 16:39:30

Take the place,

it sounds lovely.

Disenchanted3 Mon 21-Sep-09 16:40:11

Especially now its known shes only 6! She will settle in easier at this young age,

do it!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 21-Sep-09 16:43:19

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 17:05:55

If you are convinced that th enew school is the right place for her, then I think you should go for it, specially if she's not happy and settled at the current school.

hullygully Mon 21-Sep-09 17:15:48

Move her.

LIZS Mon 21-Sep-09 17:21:50

It sounds almost too small tbh - but if you are convinced she (and you ) would be happier.

Goblinchild Mon 21-Sep-09 17:23:39

Bear in mind that in a very small school, friendship issues loom very large.
Having said that, you know her best.

mosschops30 Mon 21-Sep-09 17:25:35

a school that covers 3-16 yr olds, and only has 30 children in it hmm really???

sounds a bit odd to me, sorry, what sort of school is it?

Hulababy Mon 21-Sep-09 17:27:26

Regardless of the new school's make up. etc - if you are convinced this is the right school for you, your DD and her needs, then go for it, especially as she is so young and not happy where she curretnyl is.

seeker Mon 21-Sep-09 18:34:58

I'm sorry - but 30 children is too small. There just wont be enough people for her to make friends with. And what about plays and games and orchestras and choirs?

7 in a class is just not viable. And if there are 7 in her class, does that mean that the other classes only have one or two children in?

I think it's a really really bad idea based on what you've said.

LIZS Mon 21-Sep-09 21:07:28

You may (perhaps you already have) wish to reassure yourself of the viability of such a small school too. You may wish your dd to remain there for up to 10 years but will it still be there for her ? If she has specific needs then maybe ensuring continuity is also an important consideration.

Clary Tue 22-Sep-09 01:35:59

I would be very wary about a school with just 30 pupils covering 13 yrs in age.

So that's one-two other children yr DD's age then? hmm I would really worry about friendship groups.

Wouldn't be my choice. What kind of school is it?

OTOH if you were happy with a different school I wouldn't be put off moving her just becuse of previous moves. They were not moves because she didn't fare well, were they? (IYSWIM)

savoycabbage Tue 22-Sep-09 03:01:51

My dd is five ad she has been in three different schools too. I have three 'first day of school' photos. sad She is quite shy but did settle in quite quickly in that she found friends, got used to doing things another way etc. I do think that the moves affected her emotionally though. I think that it made her insecure. I would be really reluctant to ever move her again if I absolutely didn't have to.

arolf Tue 22-Sep-09 03:50:19

I went to a tiny school (50 pupils from 4-11), and it was great - all of us from that school were continually praised at secondary for being confident and respectful of the teachers, especially when compared to our peers from inner town schools. We were all friends across year groups, the older kids looked out for the younger ones, and there was a lovely sense of community about it. (the head teacher was an auld boot, but other than that, it was a really nice school!)

If your gut feeling says she should go to the small school, then let her go!

notgettinganyyounger Tue 22-Sep-09 05:37:54

I went to a school which only had 8 in the class at primary. Never was problem.

seeker Tue 22-Sep-09 06:06:43

There is a BIG difference between a tiny - 50ish - Primary school and a school that is 3-16 with only 30 in total.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Tue 22-Sep-09 10:42:10

MollieO Tue 22-Sep-09 11:13:25

Sounds lovely until you think about it. There is a private school near us which attracts parents because there are only 6 in the class. Works well for the first year particularly for parents of PFB. Then the children find their feet but can't develop their friendships as there aren't enough of them. I know of 3 sets of parents who moved their children because the class size was too small. One was concerned when his 5 yr old was inviting 9 yr olds to his birthday party as he didn't have enough friends his own age. I reckon anything less than 13 or so is probably too small.

I don't see the relevance re Montessori tbh. Ds was at a Montessori nursery with 36 on the roll but that was 2.5 to 5. We left at 4. One of the deciding factors was there were only about 5 4 yr olds who were planning to stay there until 5.

seeker Tue 22-Sep-09 12:53:12

I honestly don"t think it matters what sort of school it is - there just aren't enough children here for a viable, healthy community.

Imagine if you were one of three people your age and you didn't get on with either of them!

How many teachers are there?

LIZS Tue 22-Sep-09 17:07:41

I've always been dubious about the benefits of Montessori methods past infant school age but it may suit some. I loved ds' Montessori nursery but it wouldn't suit him as a learning style now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now