Talk

Advanced search

Show and Tell - is it just me who has nothing to send their children in with????

(31 Posts)
Jazzicatz Mon 21-Sep-09 11:47:02

What sort of things do your children take in for show and tell????

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 11:49:23

nope we get stuck for this to and also for rainbows then dd ends up taking in a teddy or a 'special' stone and im always thinking that knowone would be interested in that but hey ho.

Jazzicatz Mon 21-Sep-09 11:49:40

We hit an all time low last week when ds2 took in a rock!!!!

squeaver Mon 21-Sep-09 11:50:30

Dd has her first one this week. The others seem to have taken in a whole variety of stuff: lego models, books, a picture they've drawn, a random toy.

It seems to be more about the telling than the showing at her school (she's in reception btw).

Although one idiot mother said last week, "oh Jemima's not going to do ballet on Tuesdays, she'll be too busy preparing for show and tell the next day" ffs.

nappyzonecantrunfortoffee Mon 21-Sep-09 11:50:31

lol crossed posts as we have doenthe rock thing a few times - we found this rock and if you squint your eyes alot it looks like a dinosaur lol!!!!!!!!!

harrisonnnn Mon 21-Sep-09 11:50:56

Oh god DS used to take Lego, or other toys, or random things like blu-tack, a torch, or his sellotape hmm

Luckily now he's in yr2 they don't do it anymore.

It is just a good way of teachers stopping kids bringing stuff in from home to show their friends all the time, limiting it to one day a week.

Don;t put any thought into it, let them take whatever they want.

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Mon 21-Sep-09 11:51:42

Ds once forgot that he had to take something in so he improvised, he walked to the front of the class, opened his hand and told everyone that he had brought "air" for them to see. Then he went into some useful facts about air, that we breathe in oxygen from it, breathe out carbon dioxide. He did get a little telling off though.

squeaver Mon 21-Sep-09 11:51:57

I've got a feeling it's going to be a conker for us this week. Maybe one with a sticker on it <sigh>

gorionine Mon 21-Sep-09 11:52:13

things they have made themselves

things that are very old (bolonged to great grand parents for example)

things from foreign countries

Things that are just curious

If there is a theme they are studying more in depth and they happen to have something related to it they take it.

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 11:52:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jazzicatz Mon 21-Sep-09 11:53:53

Conkers shock

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:39

It doesn't matter in the slightest what the stuff is - it's only called "show and tell" because they don't want to label it "Presentation Skills 1a". The point of it is to get the child to open his/her mouth to tell the class about something. Later in school they'll be presenting their project, or book report, or the results of some "science experiment" they've done.

Jazzicatz Mon 21-Sep-09 12:00:38

We must go to a very competitive school then as children come in with elaborate items made by themselves, or a fascinating historical artefact, carefully wrapped and presented. Pleased to hear that other parents let their dc go in with a funny shaped rock or pocket of conkers!!!! grin

pagwatch Mon 21-Sep-09 12:05:11

we have lots of interesting things that DD could take in. We have programmes from the Ballet, or shells we picked up on an exotic holiday or a rainmakers carved by a man we met on a woodland walk.

We always throw those contemptuously aside in favour of a conker or some high school musical pom poms or a ballooon from Dunkin Donuts or something just great

BertieBotts Mon 21-Sep-09 12:08:01

How long have they been doing show and tell here? I always thought it was an American thing. (Not a criticism btw, just curious)

FranSanDisco Mon 21-Sep-09 12:08:40

Ds brought in a fly fishing hook for catchng salmon [in a sealed frame]. From the descriptions of the other items 'shown' I think we were show-offs blush. Ds can bring an interesting stick this week grin

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 21-Sep-09 12:10:21

I didn't realise my DS had show and tell until I heard other mums discussing it at a party on Sat, I am obviously the worst mother in the world (Actually, how did they all know and I didn't - apart from the fact DS has a severe speech and language disorder, surley his LSA shoul have told me <chalks up misdemenor>)

One of the parents does seem to take it rather, ahem, seriously from what I could gather.

It is this friday, I must make up my previous 2 weeks no show with something spectacular like...a conker grin.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 21-Sep-09 12:14:48

Thankfully dd stopped doing this a couple of years ago. she would take the most random things in, blu tak was a favourite of hers, she told of her lolly stick, snail and leaf (all chosen on the walk to school). The best one I heard from her was BF who took a slice of tomato out of her sandwich and told all about that.

GooseyLoosey Mon 21-Sep-09 12:17:14

ds went through a phase of thinking of really wierd things like "how to make concrete" and "how big are icebergs" etc and then printing off a page from the internet and taking it in.

TwoPersephone Mon 21-Sep-09 13:39:41

Bird nests are good, as are fossils or boomerangs

tethersend Mon 21-Sep-09 14:12:29

Shoes are good- a single muddy shoe can tell the story of a long, dangerous and possibly entirely fictitious journey.

Hulababy Mon 21-Sep-09 14:13:15

We have alsorts come in for circle time (Y1 class). At the moment it seems to be lots of shoeboxes coming in, either made into models, into little houses with playdoh characters, some have holes in the top with "hidden" items inside to feel and guess, etc.

And or current theme has been based around the sea, seaside, sea creatures, fish, etc - so have had lots of shells come in ad smooth pebbles from the sand, books about the topic, seaside postcards or photos, related toys, etc.

isnowsoonenough Mon 21-Sep-09 14:23:03

I wish a child would take their parent in .. now that would be interesting for show and tell.

dilemma456 Mon 21-Sep-09 15:02:24

Message withdrawn

hunlet Mon 21-Sep-09 15:05:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now