Talk

Advanced search

Homework gripe

(5 Posts)
katiestar Mon 21-Sep-09 10:48:48

DD1 (a young Y4) has just started in a mixed Yr4/5/6 class
For homework the whole class get the same 2 worksheets for homework whichever year/maths group they are in (she is in the top Y4 group).The younger ones are told they don't have to do the whole worksheet just the bits they can
The literacy one she is fine with, but the maths one has a lot of stuff that the Y4s haven't covered yet.To begin with DD was quite happy to just do the bits she could do .
But the teacher gives the children a mark for how many questions they get right o the whole worksheet (the other kids have obviously had to get their parents to help as they had done the whole sheet)
DD tries her best to have a go but gets upset and frustrated and The upshot is that DH or myself teach her the maths so she knows how to do the questions so she can finish it herself.It all ends in tears
I don't think it is fair to mark children on work that they haven't covered.

overmydeadbody Mon 21-Sep-09 10:59:15

It sounds like the teacher is being quite lazy tbh.

Speaking as a teacher who has worked in mixed year and mixed ability classes, this sounds like quite bad practice tbh.

I would talk to thea teacher about it, and possible the head if you get no where.

FernieB Mon 21-Sep-09 11:50:43

Sounds unfair to me. They shouldn't be getting the same worksheet/classwork as year 5/6 anyway. And having been told just to do the bits they can, the younger kids should not be given low marks for missing bits out. Talk to the teacher.

AMumInScotland Mon 21-Sep-09 11:53:54

At the very least, the teacher should be marking which questions she expects the Yr 4s to do - just a star against each one would only take her a couple of minutes. That way, you know what your DD ought to be able to understand, and can ignore the others. They should then get a mark for what they get right - so they can get 7/8 etc instead of 7/20.

katiestar Mon 21-Sep-09 14:31:59

Thanks very much for your replies . Glad to know it's not just me that thinks it's odd.
They have a supply reacher today but I will ask the teacher if she will highlight the ones they are supposed to be able to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now