Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to encourage writing?

(5 Posts)
SingleMum01 Sun 20-Sep-09 15:13:18

My DS (7) loves maths, reads well, but hates and I mean hates writing! Any ideas to encourage him? He loves to draw, to is quite happy with paper and pencil - but nothing that involves letters! He can write when he puts his mind to it - he just can't be bothered. Tips please.

potplant Sun 20-Sep-09 15:16:18

My DS is the same so have no advice but will be watching with interest.

Takver Sun 20-Sep-09 19:00:39

My dd struggles with writing, sounds like she has more of a problem than your ds (her particular issue is spelling, more than the physical writing).
I started a thread ages back and there were some good suggestions, what has worked well for us in particular is getting her involved in what I suppose you could call 'functional' writing - adding to a shopping list, writing a note, keeping the scores at cards etc. I think it works because it doesn't seem like 'work', and also she doesn't worry about whether it is spelt right, because its only a shopping list (or whatever).
Sure some of the lovely primary teachers on here will be along soon with more suggestions!

raggie Sun 20-Sep-09 19:23:58

Agree with Takver - children need to know that what they are writing is 'for a purpose' so I think shopping list etc suggestions are brill.

There's also writing letters/postcards (to favourite football player etc?)...signs to put around the house/in his room (Keep Out!) Think about his interests and use them as a motivator. (His teacher should be doing this also, not just writing for writing's sake in class)

Once he understands writing is all about communicating meaning (HIS meaning) and when he has something to say, perhaps that will be an incentive. Perhaps writing on the computer would motivate too? He has to write it in handwriting first and reward is typing it up?

It also helps if children know who their 'audience' are (and that there IS one, or else, what's the point (for many children)

At the same time, you don't want to put him off even more by nagging (not suggesting that you would!) but perhaps give him an idea or two of these casually and if he's not taking to it, ease off a little

raggie Sun 20-Sep-09 19:25:59

My brain was jumping all over the place there, hence the many brackets! blush Hope it's still intelligible!

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now