Talk

Advanced search

When reading, how many words should they be able to read rather than spell out.?

(3 Posts)
southernbelle77 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:23:39

DD is in year 1. When we were reading tonight she was doing really well and was able to read most of the words without having to spell them out, but she does still have to spell some out. How many on any certain level should be be able to just read (ie having remembered) rather than spell out?

Also, when talking to another parent today whose dd is in the same group as dd I got a bit confused. DD is reading 'green' level (ie ORT level 6 Owls books in her case) but the other girl is reading 'red' level books. I thought they would be on the same level in a group? I am not overly bothered about which group dd is in (as in I'm not worried if she is in a high or low group as long as she is happy), but wouldn't they need different sorts of guidance etc?

DLI Thu 17-Sep-09 18:53:54

my ds has struggles a little with writing and reading. when he started reception class (the year before) they wanted him to learn to read 100 most common words and provided a list of them. they said they would be very happy if the children could read about 60/70 when they left reception. my ds can only read about 40. he is only on level one of the reading 360, ginn reading programme and i know there are children who are on the same as him and others on other levels.

mrz Thu 17-Sep-09 20:08:14

The number of HFW (100 most common words) a child can read has no impact on their reading level or ability.
southernbelle if your daughter is sounding out the words encourage her to try to do it silently (in her head)and recall words she sounded out earlier in the book - "can you remember we read that word on the last page?" It is a skill that develops over time and certainly nothing to worry about.
Your daughter and the other child may be in the same group but that doesn't mean they will be for every activity - reading - maths etc. but basically the same guidance /basic methods apply for teaching reading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now