Talk

Advanced search

Advice from school staff about what an 'atmosphere' says about a school.

(6 Posts)
katiestar Thu 17-Sep-09 15:18:05

I currently work as a TA in a mixed R/Y1 class in small ruarl school in an affluent area.
I have been offered a job in a Y1 class in a school in a deprived area which is more hours (great).
But there is something holding me back from accepting it.I spent a morning in teh class.
The children seemed odd .The children seemed really subdued and rather surprised when i engaged them in conversatiom.There didn't seem a lot of kindness from the teachers to the individual children even though one was obviosly tired and in pain from a loose tooth. I didn't see ANY bad behaviour at all .Now I know that sounds as though it should be a good thing but.Another thing that was suspicious was the high number of supply teachers and TAs that were in covering sickness.

katiestar Thu 17-Sep-09 15:18:54

sorry for rubbish typing and spelling !

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 15:20:51

if it feels wrong don't do it

I'm not a teacher so can't comment re this particular one but have interviewed for jobs where 'bad atmosphere' has struck me and have never regretted not taking it.

I suppose it could all have been due to the unplanned absence of a delightful and beloved class teacher - coul dyou go back and see the class another day when she is in?

sereka Thu 17-Sep-09 16:12:11

I am chuckling from your comment about the teacher with the loose tooth. LOL

but on a more serious note, go with your instinct....then again you need to look at the pros and the cons... do you want the extra hours for the money or do you do your job because its rewarding?

hocuspontas Thu 17-Sep-09 16:12:55

Get in there and change it!! grin Those poor children...

beautifulgirls Thu 17-Sep-09 16:16:35

Not a teacher or TA, but I have two thoughts here - firstly trust your instinct and if it doesn't feel right then don't take it. Second thought however is that just maybe you could go in there and make a difference in a really positive way to these children. Obviously a lot of that depends on how much you have to conform to how it runs now, but if you are one of these people who can show the positives for change and get people on side without causing yourself or others stress then maybe this job came to your attention for a good reason.
I guess you know if you are the sort of person to be able to do that, or safer to walk away - for what it's worth I'd be a walk away sort if I was in your shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now