Talk

Advanced search

DD has just started Reception – and keeps falling asleep at school...

(16 Posts)
MrsWicket Thu 17-Sep-09 13:40:41

She's a june born baby so one of the youngest in her class. Yesterday she fell asleep again – this time at lunch. I'm guessing teachers are used to little ones doing this grin

Pyrocanthus Thu 17-Sep-09 13:45:00

Oh bless! Does she just carry on when she wakes up, or does it make her miserable?

MrsWicket Thu 17-Sep-09 13:47:36

Seems ok apparently – She doesn't got to bed late – I think there's so much to take in, she's finding it quite tiring.

pagwatch Thu 17-Sep-09 13:47:48

at DDs reception they all had a little lie down after lunch and half of them would fall asleep. It was always a good time to nip into class to see the teacher grin - I used to be tempted to make up reasons for appts just to see those little bundles flopped out on the floor.

nappyaddict Thu 17-Sep-09 13:48:58

If she is still doing it in a few weeks I would be inclined for her to go part time instead and pick her up after lunch. What's the point of her spending the afternoon at school if she's just asleep?

Bramshott Thu 17-Sep-09 13:50:34

Do you work, or could you keep her off tomorrow? I must admit I sometimes kept DD1 off on a Friday the first term she was in Reception if she was very tired.

MrsWicket Thu 17-Sep-09 13:51:43

pagwatch – I think that's what they do at DDs school. Amolst inviting them to nod off wink

ginnny Thu 17-Sep-09 13:53:59

I wish they'd do that at work. I could just do with a snooze now grin!
I agree with Bramshott, a day off to catch up wouldn't hurt at this stage.

Hulababy Thu 17-Sep-09 13:56:30

Can she go home early every so often, ror have the odd day off?

If not possible, can school provide her with a quiet corner to have a little nap after lunch?

Littlefish Fri 18-Sep-09 21:48:28

Mrs wicket - I completely agree with everyone who is suggesting that you take your dd home if you are able to. She's obviously finding it too much. Speak to the school and arrange to pick her up after lunch on Thursdays and Fridays or something like that.

Even if it's not something the rest of the class are doing, I would really recommend putting it in place for your dd. The school cannot refuse to let you, as attendance is not statutory for your dd until September next year.

roundabout1 Sat 19-Sep-09 14:17:24

Oh bless your dd, I agree it's so much for them to take in. My dd was 4 end last month & is the youngest & is overwhelmed by the whole experience. She's not fallen asleep but gets overwrought & upset by it all, think it's the enormity of it. My dd's school they don't have a rest time, think they should though even if it's just for the lo's that need it.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 19-Sep-09 14:19:56

Mine is also a June baby and he finishes at 11.45, comes home for lunch and 20 minutes of Cbeebies before a 2 hour nap.

The teacher is used to the little ones having a nap in the play room at school grin.

sarah293 Sat 19-Sep-09 14:24:09

Message withdrawn

Mspontipine Sat 19-Sep-09 22:46:47

I managed to stay awake through primary school - saved all my napping for Secondary School! Teachers never noticed - did it nearly every day fgs and twas a supposedly decent Grammar...

AtheneNoctua Sat 19-Sep-09 23:21:56

DS is a May baby. He is 4 now and just started reception. Last year he was in the nursery at the same school. For nurser I requested the morning session but of course got the afternoon session. It was 2 1/2 hours and every day he fell asleep during story time at the end. I'll have to ask at the consultation evening if he is still doing this. But judging from the way he doses off whilst watching telly in the afternoons on the weekend, I expect he might still be dosing off during story time at school. I'm not worried. He's obviously one lazy boy! He'll outgrow it. And until then the school will just have to cope. I mean he is only 4. And it isn't like he stays up until 10:00. He's just my cuddly narcoleptic boy. smile

FernieB Mon 21-Sep-09 09:37:13

I used to sometimes help out at school when mine were in reception and there were always a couple that would nod off for a few minutes. The teachers never bothered and just left them to sleep. One teacher would try and get a cushion under their heads if possible to make them more comfy!

Mine are now 9 and in the equivalent of the UK year 5. Last year one of the boys in their class fell asleep during an afternoon lesson. Luckily (for him) the teacher left him to rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now