Talk

Advanced search

Ironing?

(9 Posts)
Ixia Thu 17-Sep-09 10:29:00

OK, so I iron as little as possible. But I bought my DD cotton fairtrade pinafores/skirts and I'm having a hell of a job getting them crease free.

Any tips? I'm steaming them with a damp cloth and they are still creased (a lot)angry

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 17-Sep-09 10:36:01

Maybe this would be better posted in a different area. I clicked thinking that primary children were ironing at school. what a gift that would be!

Pyrocanthus Thu 17-Sep-09 10:45:28

Me too, I wanted the KS2 attainment targets.

clutteredup Thu 17-Sep-09 10:51:26

Can I reccommend the cheap supermarket pinafores made probably entirely out of plastic - you can wash them and leave them screwed up in a heap and not need a bit of ironing - then donate the difference in price to a Fairtrade organisation to alleviate conscience.
I've done the first but not the second I confess blush

nancy75 Thu 17-Sep-09 10:55:08

wash them again, take them out of the machine and hang them up the second the machine stops. iron when slightly damp with lots of steam. you could also try spinning on a low (500) spin when they are washed.

nancy75 Thu 17-Sep-09 10:55:34

and use spray starch!

Ixia Thu 17-Sep-09 18:35:13

Sorry to mislead you, a primary school child who irons, now that would be a gift indeed.grin
The Fairtrade element was irrelevant, I just wanted cotton and now I'm suffering for it.

I've just tried ironing them straight out of the machine, that has helped a bit.

Spray starch, does that really work? I just thought it turned stuff to cardboard and made you crackle when you walk.

Pyrocanthus Thu 17-Sep-09 21:09:51

'a primary school child who irons, now that would be a gift indeed.'

Actually, I have one. Loves it. Going for a level 5. smile

Clary Sat 19-Sep-09 11:03:51

Am also luuurving the idea that ironing is on the KS1 curriculum. grin

Ixia, I had the fairtrade cotton polos from M&S last year and foudn the best thing was to dry on the line, use non-marking pegs, a good steam iron and if poss iron while still slightly damp.

Woudl expect that to work with cotton pinafores too, no?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now