Talk

Advanced search

Should i be worried about my ds just (8) being on ort level 6

(11 Posts)
nicespam Wed 16-Sep-09 17:24:16

He seems to read these fluently, but reading some other threads on here, it seems he is very behind

Sagacious Wed 16-Sep-09 17:39:40

My ds is reading ORT level 6 and he's 7.5.

It is in latin though...

IMHO MN is the worst place to check reading levels.Totally polarised.

If the teacher is happy with his progress, then I would not worry and hide competative threads.

Sagacious Wed 16-Sep-09 17:40:24

I was joking about the latin

Natch

Its Mandarin.

clumsymum Wed 16-Sep-09 17:49:43

Is he reading anything else? Do you read to him/with him at home?

Okay, I'm biased, because my ds was on ORT level 6 aged 5, but that is, I think, simply because reading has always been part of our lives, and when ds was tiny I would read to him, but with him sitting beside me, seeing the words as I read them (I moved my finger under the words as I read), and he really just learnt to read in that way.

So you could try that, read with him at home, but something more interesting (Flat Stanley stories are a good start)

TBH ORT books aren't very inspiring, and if that is the bulk of what your ds sees, it isn't likely to hugely encourage reading for pleasure, and that is what brings reading levels up.

Having said all that, yes, if the teacher is happy, you may want to leave him be. I just get such pleasure out of books, I wanted ds to share that, and he does. He now reads for his own pleasure at least half an hour every day.

LadyMuck Wed 16-Sep-09 17:57:22

Is he year 3 or Year 4?

Level 6 has a reading age of 6 - 6.5. So, it isn't the level that you would be expecting an 8 yo on, but as you say he is reading these fluently then there may be an issue as to what books get sent home - occasionally the dcs school seemed to suddenly vary the levels as they were trying to introduce different styles of reading, eg, poetry, plays etc. Or perhaps the school wants him books that he can read confidently at home but he is reading more difficult stuff at school.

Presumably he has done SATS so you know what his level is? What sort of books does he read at home?

luckylady74 Wed 16-Sep-09 17:58:32

My ds1 is in yr 3 and is 7.5. He is on stage 5 and is firmly at the bottom of the class - this is a school in a very privileged area, but it's still below what's expected of that age.
In ds1's case we have read with him since he was a tiny baby it's just he has aspergers and that means he can't focus on reading-I do think he'll get there in the end.
It could just be that he's not ready yet or that he's not engaged withh reading and needs some encouragement. Or it could just be they don't move them through the levels very quickly.
His teacher is the person to talk to.

Goblinchild Wed 16-Sep-09 17:59:07

The children I've had who were reading ORT level 6 in Y3 usually had an IEP to support their reading.
What extra help is he getting at school?What are the specific problems that are stopping him from moving on ( word recognition, comprehension, only using one strategy such as phonics) and have you asked the school how you can help at home? Talk to his teacher and find out what's happening.

Goblinchild Wed 16-Sep-09 18:01:54

luckylady74, my AS son was exactly the same, but around the beginning of Y4 he suddenly got what reading was about, started using different strategies and took off like a rocket.
End of Y6 he was reading Alex Rider, Y10 now his favourite is LOTR.

pagwatch Wed 16-Sep-09 18:02:05

nicespam
You get a really weird view of the world if you view it through MN ORT glasses.

Children develop their reading at massively different rates and <<whispers>> some parents and schools seem to think it a badge of success if they plough their children through these turgid tales delightful books.
It is tick box stuff and isn't really helpful.

If you think your child is comfortable, if the school do not regard him as behind, then I wouldn't worry.
DS2 can read very well and is profoundly autistic, understanding not a word of what he reads but perfectly able to read it. DD on the other hand seem to be doing fine yet has an enquiring and interested mind and a huge vocabulary.
It is not the begining and the end of how a child is doing.

As clumsy said, try and make sure he has access to enjoyable stuff at home and speak to the school if you are concerned.
But you say he is readinmg his books fluently so I don't think you should be

luckylady74 Wed 16-Sep-09 18:06:57

lovely to hear that goblinchild smile

nicespam Wed 16-Sep-09 19:27:16

Thanks, he does have an IEP though that is more for maths, so I should worry more than I am I suppose. Will see the teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now