Talk

Advanced search

Calling all Primary School teachers - advice needed please

(11 Posts)
LovingTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 16:56:03

Evening all! My DN is about to start her final year teaching placement in a primary school.
If you’re a primary school teacher who has or has had students in your class, what questions do you wish they’d ask you or what things do you wish they’d do as students?
My DN is looking forward to reading any advice any one can give her as she’s said she can access all the topics without a log in!

Thank-you in advance to anyone for helping my niece

LovingTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 19:53:28

bump

TeamEdward Tue 15-Sep-09 19:55:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cornsillk Tue 15-Sep-09 19:58:18

Why not ask to do a display? Teacher should like that.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 15-Sep-09 19:58:36

I just wanted my students to be cheerful and enthusiastic, nothing worse than someone who has to be chivvied along the whole time. Your ds sounds like she has got that right already if she has asked you to post on here.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 15-Sep-09 19:59:41

sorry, I meant your dn.

LovingTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 20:19:03

Thank-you

primarymum Tue 15-Sep-09 20:21:52

Look, Listen Learn, Do!

Look at what is going on in the classroom, how things work, please don't completely rearrange the class routines-the poor teacher has to get them back into her routine when the student has left! Listen to what the teacher says, what the children say and most importantly what the TA says! Learn what is expected of you and make sure you do it! presumably if it is her final teaching placement she will have responsibility for the class, she should be very well prepared! Remember the teacher will be busy too, don't leave everything to the last minute. If you don't understand ASK, offer to do things before being told, don't criticise the teacher you are working with ( one student we had spent a playtime in the staffroom slagging off her teacher in front of colleagues!) And most important, enjoy!

LovingTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 20:31:26

Thank-you primary mum. Yes I think she is quite prepared, she had reception last year and passed with outstanding for all areas ( proud Auntie here! grin)

This year she has a mix of reception/year1/year2 in a tiny village school. She's said she is nervous of the planning although she doesn't know how many children she'll have.

(50 in whole school up to year 6) so I said to her she probably won't have more than 20 if that!!

primarymum Tue 15-Sep-09 20:59:37

That's a tough mix ( I would go so far as to say the toughest, when she conquers this one she should have the confidence to conquer anything)! I had that as my first NQT class ( and also during one of my teaching practices) When she goes for her preparation visits, she really needs to concentrate on how the teacher organises the different activities and how this is reflected in the planning.

LovingTheRain Tue 15-Sep-09 22:07:47

I'll pass on the advice if she doesn't come on here and read it herself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now