Talk

Advanced search

don't want to be pushy mum/bored child!

(3 Posts)
purplepansy Tue 15-Sep-09 16:48:36

DD in year 1.
Teacher writes in her reading diary nice little comment about how hard she's worked that day.
Lovely. Except that she has been whining constantly about how the work is too easy, and that she is bored, particularly with the sums they are doing.
TBH from what she tells me, it does sound pretty easy compared to what the reception teacher had them doing (she had DD working with another girl on their own for numberacy).
DD wants me to talk to teacher about it blush
Don't want to be pushy mum, especially as vaguely know teacher socially.
So what do I do? Put up with bored daughter getting praised for doing stuff that she finds easy, or be a pushy mum and ask for her to be given harder work? hmm

CybilLiberty Tue 15-Sep-09 16:51:34

They may be doing beginning of term assesssments just to see where the children are in terms of ability.

It's a bit early days yet...I would give it a bit longer and see if things pick up, if not then see the teacher.

She wouldn't take it as a criticism if your dd needs something a bit more taxing.

KembleTwins Tue 15-Sep-09 16:53:21

Talk to the teacher as soon as possible. If the teacher thinks you're being pushy, so what? You know your daughter a lot better - the teacher has only had her for a short time. I am a teacher, and welcome input from parents, as long as it's not done in a "you don't know what you're doing" sort of way. TBH, as a secondary teacher, I wish I did get more input from parents - most of the time (I'm on a break at the mo) it was only when their kids were in trouble.

I would make an appointment to talk to the teacher (don't just turn up - that will put you on a bad footing straight away) and play it in a kind of "DD is really enjoying school, but I worry that she is finding some of the work too easy. What can we do to work with you to help her?" kind of way. If your DD is "whining" (as you say) unnecessarily - for example if she's not really rushing through her maths work and getting it all right, the teacher will be able to show you evidence of that.

Good luck! And stop worrying about coming across as pushy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now