Talk

Advanced search

Astrosaurs/Cows In Action Books: DS aged 8. What do you think?

(13 Posts)
faraday Tue 15-Sep-09 15:45:26

Personally I get tired of all the 'clever' references in them like 'ter-moo-nators'. Haha, but would YOUR 8 year old have seen Arnie in all his half man/half machine glory? OR recognise a reference to 1066 and King Harold? Do they 'get' word play when they can barely read it straight?

Obviously anything that gets a boy reading is considered 'good' but I think kids get a lot less out of these books than adults think!

There's Horrid Henry but apart from the somewhat dubious moral messages therein, even they contain quite a lot of made up words!

I really don't want to come across as precious and protective but I think there must be more quality age appropriate reading material out there - that the schools can 'push'!

nickelbabe Tue 15-Sep-09 15:59:02

i think the theory is that they'll get some of the references and others they see, they will want to look up?
I know a heck of a lot of boys return to the books and the series, so they must be getting something out of it.

NormaSnorks Tue 15-Sep-09 16:57:21

DS1 (now nearly 10) loved these, along with things like Captain Underpants hmm and Captain Fact.... (I see a trend?)

Personally I think they're pretty harmless, and if they get them into the habit of reading for pleasure I'm all for it.

DS1 has a reading age of 13+ so no damage was done to him certainly!

faraday Tue 15-Sep-09 19:51:13

Yes, but possibly a DS with a reading age more than 3 years ahead of his actual age is more likely to 'get' such references, isn't he, as he will far more likely have read, say, Horrible Histories etc? I bet he has an above average IQ, too.

And I do wonder whether especially with say Cows In Action, it's perhaps like Thomas the Tank Engine protractors: If a DC is old enough to know what a protractor is FOR, they're too old for TTE! Thus if you're young enough not to scoff at the idea of intelligent cows as special agents, you're too young for Horrible Histories and Terminator!

I have ploughed through one CIA book and my DS (8) came away with the idea they had electricity in 1066- the point IS made IN the book that it's an anachronism but that washed over him!

morningpaper Tue 15-Sep-09 19:52:20

I think this is true, but then we would probably get a lot more out of "classic books" at age 60 than age 20, but nonetheless there is still a lot you can take from them

Reallytired Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:10

My son like Enid Blyton Secret Seven if you want something of a similar reading level. Or maybe Beast Quest or some Jeramony Strong books are good.

I don't understand why Astrosaurs/Cows In Action Books are so bad. My son reads them independently and I don't get involved.

Children's books are for children. The main thing is that they read SOMETHING. It is for the child's enjoyment not the adult.

madgebettany Tue 15-Sep-09 21:05:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NormaSnorks Tue 15-Sep-09 21:15:41

Ah - I see what you're getting at (sorry - didn't really read your OP properly blush)

I can see that the clever references are a bit unnecessary/ confusing.

I wonder if they are trying to target the slightly older "reluctant reader", or perhaps adding some entertainment for parents wading through this stuff with their kids??

By personal bug bear is/was the BeastQuest series as they seem to have no merit whatsoever.

So, my suggestions would be:

- Jack Stalwart series
- Jeremy Strong books
- Jiggy McQue series (DS1 ADORED these)
-Antony Horowitz 'Diamond Brothers'series
- Secret Seven
- Charlie Small

movingnow Tue 15-Sep-09 21:23:50

Currently reading CIA to DS (just 7) as bedtime story, have to say I find them more fun to read than some blush

seeker Wed 16-Sep-09 06:04:46

There are lots of jokes in films like Toy Storu that the little ones don't get but they still love them!

seeker Wed 16-Sep-09 06:05:13

Toy Story - obviously!

faraday Wed 16-Sep-09 15:23:44

I hasten to add I don't fly across the room to rugby tackle DS to the floor so as to rip CIA or Astrosaurs from his grasp!

But thanks for the other suggestions.

KaDeWeh Wed 16-Sep-09 15:35:22

My DS is 7 and has been an avid Astrosaurs reader for about a year - but he is another with a 13+ reading age and a vast amount of general knowledge (much of which comes from the Horrible Histories books, along with a whole host of boring factual tomes). He thinks the Astrosaurs are really funny (each to their own).

I personally loathe Beast Quest, but DS has read them all (keeps him quiet while trying on school shoes).

I'd suggest the Secret Seven myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now