Talk

Advanced search

my son is dyslexic is indepent school good or state can give him more help

(7 Posts)
anand Tue 15-Sep-09 12:18:09

Hi there

my son is in Yr2 and going to an independent school.but recently we found that he have dyslexia his support teacher at school is sure that he does have dyslexia and he is going for the assessment in october.
i am jsut not sure what kind of help he might get if we move him to a state school because he is under a lot of pressure in the prsent school but they do give him extra help whenever needed and he is happy never seen any signs of unhappiness when he comes back to schooland the present school does accomodate special education needs children.
but not sure what level of help a sate school provides.

thank you

anand Tue 15-Sep-09 12:19:21

Hi there

my son is in Yr2 and going to an independent school.but recently we found that he have dyslexia his support teacher at school is sure that he does have dyslexia and he is going for the assessment in october.
i am jsut not sure what kind of help he might get if we move him to a state school because he is under a lot of pressure in the prsent school but they do give him extra help whenever needed and he is happy never seen any signs of unhappiness when he comes back to schooland the present school does accomodate special education needs children.
but not sure what level of help a sate school provides.

thank you

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 12:23:31

public schools have a better teacher to pupil ratio and often have more resources to give extra time to dyslexic children. Dont have any experience of state schools so not in a position to comment. But if you are getting help stay where you are.

smee Tue 15-Sep-09 12:40:07

In state, it depends on the level of your son's dyslexia. If it's deemed sufficiently severe, then the school gets money for support, if it's not he doesn't. Also depends on the school, as some schools are better than others, though obviously this is true in the independent sector too. Once you've got him assessed, why not go visit the state school you're thinking of and ask them what they'd do, then compare.

beautifulgirls Tue 15-Sep-09 14:21:12

This is so much about the schools as individual places rather than how they are funded. You really need to go and talk to any schools you are considering and make a judgement from there.
DD#1 has dyspraxia and speech issues. She has just started at our local state school in reception and we are over the moon with the support from them already for her - way beyond what we had expected would be possible for a school to do given their commitment to all the other children they have in their care too - but they are doing a great job. I am so pleased we chose that school for her (and got a place) - we had considered private for her too.

Hulababy Tue 15-Sep-09 14:25:21

Definitely depends on individual schools. You would need to ask each school specifically about what they offer and at what level.

My 7y DD doesn't have dyslexia but has some dyslexic tendancies, despite being an excellent reader and working above expectated levels for age in other areas. However, she is still able to access some weekly support to work on those areas which were flagged up when she was "assessed" by her independent prep school. I know for definite she would not recieve any support for those slight concerns in the state primary school I work at. I have no idea about other schools and what they'd offer though.

pagwatch Tue 15-Sep-09 14:28:09

It depends entirely onthe individual school.

Independent school can be mixed in terms of how good their support is - so can state schools.
You need to look at the individual schools open to you and choose.
FWIW if my son seemed happy I would leave him be

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now