Talk

Advanced search

Are IEPs only given to children struggling at school, or do all kids have them?

(6 Posts)
crokky Sun 13-Sep-09 14:41:46

My DS is 3 and in a nursery that is part of a school. I was just reading another thread and saw IEP mentioned and I read it as though IEPs are only for children who are struggling or have SEN?

(DS potentially has Aspergers syndrome and his speech is a tiny bit behind so is that why he has it?)

foofi Sun 13-Sep-09 14:47:16

Yes, it is normally for SEN children - it's a plan of the extra support they are going to get.

LIZS Sun 13-Sep-09 14:48:39

An IEP is for those kids who need specific attention either in or out of the classroom. It basically sets a few targets - which can be academic or behavioural - for each term ie. to sit on the mat during circle time, recognise aprticualr phonemes, work on specific spelling patterns etc. School Action is sued for where help is in school, School action Plus if an outside agency ie SALT or OT is also involved. A child with a Statement will have an IEP but many others will too, at one time or another, maybe for SEN or just to catch them up.

crokky Sun 13-Sep-09 14:49:03

thank you!

BuckRogers Sun 13-Sep-09 20:11:01

Normally for children who are struggling with the age appropriate objectives but also sometimes used for children who are extremely able and need their learning objectives specified.

Also used for children with challenging behaviour.

If your DS has AS his IEP may have, say, 2 behaviour objectives and 2 learning based objectives (either because he's struggling or very able) Or they may all be behavioural or all academic IYSWIM.

Usually 2,3 or 4 point reviewed every term or half term.

nymphadora Sun 13-Sep-09 20:20:11

SEN or G&T in some schools

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now