Talk

Advanced search

can state primary force you to have school dinners?

(20 Posts)
1dilemma Fri 11-Sep-09 19:09:44

OK this is the thread I really wanted to post the school spelling test is just a teaser.

State primary
lots of children
Can they really force us to have school dinners?

(We have many reasons for not wanting too!)

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 11-Sep-09 19:11:58

No

katiestar Fri 11-Sep-09 19:14:39

No , nor your children smile

1dilemma Fri 11-Sep-09 19:15:32

lol katie
serves me right for posting with dcs yelling in one ear and dh in the other

No - they can try to tell you what to put in a packed lunch, but your dc cant be forced to stay for school lunch.

IME- haven tried one at ds new school - they're tasteless and the kids didnt seem to eat much of the slop gruel food that was on their trays.

Packed lunch every time in my house. At least I know what he's eating smile

piscesmoon Fri 11-Sep-09 19:51:23

No-but in view of people being so unreasonable about packed lunches it might be a good thing!!!

Lilyloo Fri 11-Sep-09 19:52:24

No although Ed Ball said they trialling free school dinners in some schools ..

Seona1973 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:01:05

we have a choice of either and can choose day to day which they want to have. Depending on the menu each week dd has between 1 and 4 school meals per week.

1dilemma Fri 11-Sep-09 20:10:25

Does anyone know for a fact that they can't? actually underpaid going home would break us (and take longer than the alloted lunchtime)

EldonAve Fri 11-Sep-09 20:34:33

I don't think they can force you

Is it under consultation?
Do you have a parents' association?

DMspecial Fri 11-Sep-09 20:36:45

the human rights act could probably be invoked if necessary. Schools always quote it when they don't wish to do something.

sdr Fri 11-Sep-09 20:47:18

We were in a Catholic primary and forced to have school dinners. The school put in a new kitchen and only way to pay for it was for all families to go onto them. Your other option was take them home for lunch. But this was a Foundation school so they had more control.

1dilemma Fri 11-Sep-09 21:10:57

Eldon no apparently it was agreed years ago! no parents assoc

sdr you've worried me now I know the school is non-community will find out if it is Foundation if they forced su to go home to have packed lunch IYSWIM we would be stuffed, however I think so many other parents would take their dcs home out of choice (and not come back...) that I'm hoping they wont

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 11-Sep-09 21:46:34

The first primary school DD1 went to, all nursery and reception children were required to have school dinners. Looking back, I don't know why I didn't object - DD was traumatised by the whole experience. The dinner ladies (as they were called in that school) were very old school, they terrified me let alone a three year old.

I didnt mean packed lunch 'in' my house - just that's what my own kids have.

Speak to some other parents and see what their feelings are - I would also speak to the LEA and find out if they can insist on this under LEA policy.

1dilemma Fri 11-Sep-09 22:37:44

I realise
I was being silly I meant if the choice was school lunch in school or leave the building and eat what your parents give you we'd be stuffed
(we work and live ages away from the school)

govenors apparently decided this ages ago in order to make school dinners affordable for all hence sdrs post is so worrying.
If we did school dinners for all our children I think it would be about 50% of our weekly shopping bill (excluding the odd treat!)

katiestar Sat 12-Sep-09 10:42:29

The school must by law provide children with the facilities to eat a packed lunches.Don't let your school bully you into believeing otherwise.i will post the link when I find it

1dilemma Sat 12-Sep-09 13:07:38

oh thanks katie that would be hugely helpful, we have a letter to write this week!

katiestar Sat 12-Sep-09 15:19:52

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/ukpga_19960056_en_32#pt9-ch2-pb1-l1g512
This is the link It is the Education Act 1996 S512 .

It applies to maintained schools .I have seen on teachernet that it is the law for foundation schools but it didn't link to the law

1dilemma Thu 17-Sep-09 23:56:24

The follow up to this is that we wrote to school and said you can't force us (not in so many words!) they have written back and siad no we can't but we are disapointed in your view!!!!

So it's packed lunches for us yippee

Thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now