Talk

Advanced search

Mixed Y4/Y5 class, DD Y4 doing Y5 homework what happens next year?

(9 Posts)
lexcat Thu 10-Sep-09 13:26:47

DD Y4 is in a mixed Y4/Y5 her teacher told me if she was ever was struggling with her maths homework to let her know as she was going to give her the Y5. I didn't question it and thought great she loves maths and will enjoy the chanllege.

Now I've been thinking will that mean she will also be doing Y5 maths in class and if so what happens when she is Y5 next year in the same class.

pinknosedevereux Thu 10-Sep-09 18:07:34

hi this happened to my ds too; not to worry all through school kids are given ability appropriate work even if this means they end up doing year 7 or 8 work by the time they leave.

englishpatient Thu 10-Sep-09 18:37:14

I don't agree with pinknosedevereux - there was certainly repetition, particularly in the older year groups, at my DD's school. She found yr 6 very boring for this reason.

Goblinchild Thu 10-Sep-09 18:43:53

I've taught mixed classes for years, and had children stay with me for two years at a time.
I agree with you pinknosedevereux, but it takes a bit of thought and imagination on the part of the teacher. Lateral thinking and applying the maths to different situations and problems extends and strengthens the skills.
Sorry your daughter had such a bad deal englishpatient, did you ask the teacher what s/he was doing to avoid boring repetition?

englishpatient Thu 10-Sep-09 19:02:10

Goblinchild, you sound like the sort of teacher I would love in DD's school - DS is there now and I dread the same happening to him.

DD's teacher in yr 6 (who was also the Head) was very keen to spend a long time drilling everyone for SATs and so they did lots of revision papers. DD was LONGING to start secondary school!

pinknosedevereux Thu 10-Sep-09 20:48:28

Ah well not all school's are as good at this as they should be. I'm sorry to hear that englishpatient's dd didn't have a good experience. Luckily the fact lexcat's dd's teacher was talking to her about is a good sign.
Come to think of it; I went to a tiny(20 pupils in total) primary school where we learn't almost nothing except reading, maths and country dancing-didn't stop me going to university!

katiestar Thu 10-Sep-09 22:07:48

we have a mixed YR 4/5/6 class .And what happens is that the bright kids who are doing Y6 maths in Y4 will end up doing it 3 times.

katiestar Thu 10-Sep-09 22:08:17

we have a mixed YR 4/5/6 class .And what happens is that the bright kids who are doing Y6 maths in Y4 will end up doing it 3 times.

lexcat Thu 10-Sep-09 22:14:04

Thanks for the feedback I'm sure she's not the only one as their are some very bright children in her class. I guess I'm probably worrying about something that won't be a problem till next year.

Feeling better since talking to my dd about school today. Anyone who can make my dd enjoy writing (her pet hate) within a week of the start of school is amazing, and dd was getting excited about her written work she did today.

In my eyes written work is or major hurdle. Yes the is about maths but if her teacher can get her inspired about writing that puts them down as fantastic teacher in my book. So hope she also will be able to keep the maths fun and interesting even when she's Y5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now