Talk

Advanced search

Is it reasonable to expect a turned-6-in-August child to learn these spellings?

(20 Posts)
emkana Wed 09-Sep-09 21:50:48

Because dd2 is struggling very very badly and I'm at the end of my tether and I'm wondering what to do?

the words are

healthy
eating
diet
fruit
exercise
balance
vegetables
heart

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 09-Sep-09 21:53:28

I'm not sure as my kids are all little but I do remember being a bit shocked at DNs spellings to learn recently - she is just 7.

SleepingLion Wed 09-Sep-09 22:07:42

I assume she's in Yr 2 if she's 6. My DS is in Yr 2 and his spellings this week all focus on words with 'sh' in them, so words like splash, radish and so on.

Your DD's spelling list sounds ridiculous for Yr 2 and I would tell her teacher that. There's no connection between the words in spelling terms - how is she supposed to learn how spelling works by learning a list of random words which just happen to be linked to one topic?

emkana Wed 09-Sep-09 22:11:19

yes she is year 2

hollytom Wed 09-Sep-09 22:13:26

I agree way too hard. I wouldn't do it.

trickerg Wed 09-Sep-09 22:15:14

Unless your daughter is an amazing speller (which whe may be), Y2 children should still be bringing home tricky words and phonics patterns to learn.

(I took it to mean that she was struggling learning these spellings - if she's struggling generally, then it is absolutely ridiculuous! Spellings sent home should always be matched to the child's ability and current learning.

emkana Wed 09-Sep-09 22:17:26

She is not struggling generally, but she is not exceptional either, just middle of the road really. She is finding these spellings incredibly hard. The whole class has been given the same list, which I think is just bizarre. They are words connected to their topic this term, but still I think how much more she would benefit from words that focus on a certain spelling pattern.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 09-Sep-09 22:19:03

They have given her words based on her science topic.

The stress needs to be taken out of the situation. Talk to the teacher and explain how upset she is. Tell your dd that it is ok not to know spellings sometimes, it happens to all of us.

The main thing I learned as a teacher was that it is impossible to learn anything if you are upset or stressed about it. There is no room left in the brain for learning.

I hate spelling tests, I only did them because of parent pressure.

trickerg Wed 09-Sep-09 22:19:32

I agree. In Y2 they should be consolidating phonics.

Milliways Wed 09-Sep-09 22:27:15

They are too hard!

DS's school had really weird spellings. One week they were all rhyming phonics, then we had outragous things. I particularly remember he had "Inconceivable" in Yr2!!

The sentance I taught him was:
It is inconceivable that i will ever use such a word this year!

bellissima Thu 10-Sep-09 12:50:49

Well my younger DD has just had her first Year 2 spellings and they are not nearly as hard as those - seem to be a recap of Year 1 (going, away, etc - won't give whole list and identify myself although it could be a common list). Oh and this is at a reasonably academic if not pressure cooker prep - most of them get Level 5 for Year 6 English Sats (or so elder DD's teacher assures me ahem fingers crossed...).

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Thu 10-Sep-09 13:34:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ICANDOTHAT Thu 10-Sep-09 15:38:25

They are ridiculous. My ds has bought home:

again
night
where
brother
once

Sounds like they are doing a topic rather than their key stage spellings

mrz Thu 10-Sep-09 17:09:50

The class is obviously doing Healthy Eating this week so the teacher thought they should learn key vocabulary - not good

Hulababy Thu 10-Sep-09 17:24:00

These spellings are far too difficult for this stage, for the average child. Even if topic based, they are not IMo suitable for a spelling test.

At this stage if spelling tests are going to be used at all, they should have a common phonic theme and be used to consolidate learning done in class, such as lots of sh words, or words containing ph, wh, etc.

If they have topic words to learn then they should simply have these displayed int he classroom for children to refer to and use in their school work, and perhaps have a list of words to learn to read if really necessary.

pinknosedevereux Thu 10-Sep-09 18:15:48

This may be a blip, reassure child not a big deal if they can't learn them. If next weeks spellings just as hard; then a quiet word with teachers is in order.
I think a low key reaction from you is important, so your daughter isn't put off.grin

wishingchair Thu 10-Sep-09 20:31:24

I think it depends what level she is at. In DDs class they all get different spellings based on ability. These spellings look like they are testing the 'ea' blend. Tricky but not too unreasonable IF she is at that level ... nothing to do with age ... on DDs table there is the youngest in the year and they had spellings last year (Yr1) like machine, wednesday, suddenly, because, and lots with silent letters that I can't remember now!

wishingchair Thu 10-Sep-09 20:37:32

Duh - sorry, just realised you said she is struggling. In that case absolutely not. Some of the other tables have spellings like pea, when, that, the.

They should be setting spelling that are appropriate for the ability.

By the way, despite DDs fairly complex spelling tests, she still spells things out phonetically when writing so bear no resemblance to the correct spelling. I asked the teacher about it and she said that was normal and good sign. Which then begs the question ... what is hte point of the spelling tests???

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Thu 10-Sep-09 21:49:27

If she is struggling then they may be a tadge unreasonable but maybe the teacher is trying to see where the children have got to and they are words related to the subject they are studying.

My DS was doing words of this difficulty and harder in year 2 but then he is a swat and loves science and maths and english.

MermaidSpam Sun 13-Sep-09 18:39:02

The spellings in yr 2 seem to be ridiculous. DD had Astronaut, Lawnmower, etc, etc. When was the last time an average human being had to spell either of those???

Also sorry to be a pedant but....
Tadge - giving someone a handjob on the 1st date at the cinema

Swat - used to kill flies

Think you meant "tad" and "swot"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now