Talk

Advanced search

What's a Y2 maths assessment? Dd came out of school in tears as couldn't do any of it ...

(56 Posts)
souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:04:23

Message withdrawn

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:18:04

Message withdrawn

ICANDOTHAT Wed 09-Sep-09 21:20:04

How does she know it's a 'test' ? Surely they would just be given a numeracy worksheet to complete hmm Poor dd.

Feenie Wed 09-Sep-09 21:23:26

Could be anything, I'm afraid. I wouldn't e thought the teacher was starting practising SAT tests this early (if at all - it's crap practice, tbh).
Why not pop in and mention your dd found it difficult, and was upset? As an ex Y2 teacher I would definitely have wanted - and needed - to know this.

GossipMonger Wed 09-Sep-09 21:24:06

They are assessed ALL the time.

It will just so that the teacher can see where she is and help her from there.

No big deal. New class, new teacher.

I am a Y2 TA and we really do assess them constantly so am a bit surprised she even knew the word assessment as we call them quizzes!

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:24:14

Message withdrawn

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:25:58

Message withdrawn

Goblinchild Wed 09-Sep-09 21:26:59

It's probably to do with pupil tracking throughout the year. We assess in September, then again in May and see what the progress each individual has made. They are supposed to make one level progress in two years.
I'd make the point to your daughter that they want to see what she can do so that the teacher knows what she needs help with, and not to worry. No one will be cross or upset and all that will happen is the teacher will know what her particular needs are in Maths.
If she doesn't understand stuff, then she'll be getting support in class to help her reach a level 2b (national average for Y2 in May)

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:29:33

Message withdrawn

DameEdnaAverage Wed 09-Sep-09 21:32:26

shock What is going on?! This is the second thread I've read about traumatised children in year 2 feeling that they are failing already in the first week of term?!

I can't stand the amount of pressure put on children at this young age.

I am doing a lot of assessment with my yr 1 children at the moment, but they don't know I'm doing it. I wouldn't dream of putting a written test in front of them. Children this age (and at the beginning of year 2) are not ready for that sort of test. It's awful. I'm assuming it's because of teacher concerns about SATS. I just can't believe teachers feel that they need to stick an intimidating test in front of a child to find out what they need to learn. It's old fashioned summative assessment and isn't all that helpful. I thought we were getting over this..

sorry - rant over!

Goblinchild Wed 09-Sep-09 21:34:56

DameEdna, please come to my school and kick some sense into the Headmaster. he's the one ranting for data and assessments that can be quantified.

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:35:16

Message withdrawn

Feenie Wed 09-Sep-09 21:37:36

Agree strongly, DameEdna - continuous teacher assessment should not mean constant testing. We are nearly 6 years down the line since end of KS1 assessments changed, and still we hear too many stories on here about pressurised Y2 children and teachers who still cannot teacher assess without testing.

ramonaquimby Wed 09-Sep-09 21:39:38

souvenir, this is absolutely common - we call it baseline assessment - assess when the students arrive - see where the gaps are - and assess when they leave - and see what''s been filled up. I wouldn't rush out and find assessment papers, or fill her up with facts that she might forget. See it as a useful positive thing and make an appointment to see the teacher to discuss your concerns. We use a commercial test to determine 'ages' in numeracy and literacy that often run to 10 pages plus, there may only be 1 or 2 questions per page. Please don't worry, your daughter might pick up on this too. See the teacher, you'll feel a lot better.

Goblinchild Wed 09-Sep-09 21:40:34

The problem is that there are hundreds of different possibilities for what she might be looking at, from word problems to basic missing number, 4 operations, shape and space, money...
Like the advert said 'The possibilities are endless.'
Takes me an hour a week to plan my maths, and I use a lot of different resources. I've got Y5.

ramonaquimby Wed 09-Sep-09 21:41:50

before any mainstream teachers jump on me, I teach in a special needs school and it's absolutely vital that we show progression and have data to back it up.

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:42:04

Message withdrawn

Feenie Wed 09-Sep-09 21:45:41

Actually, testing - especially using commercial tests - is NOT common, and is not the best practice for assessment. LEA advisors doing monitoring visits and wanting to know how Y2 teachers know where children are - and what their next steps are - will not give a toss about that kind of formal testing as evidence.

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:48:02

Message withdrawn

Goblinchild Wed 09-Sep-09 21:48:06

souvenir, here is the Standards Website.
Choose the year you want to look at from the drop down menu.
nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/110240

You are looking for Learning Objectives

Feenie Wed 09-Sep-09 21:48:42

She's not supposed to be anywhere, souvenir - she is being assessed to find out what she knows and therefore what to teach her next. Don't worry about it (but watch out for over-testing this year!)

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:48:49

Message withdrawn

DameEdnaAverage Wed 09-Sep-09 21:50:42

I think I must be really lucky. Although we do have to provide evidence to support our assessments, there is absolutely no pressure from my head teacher to give the children written tests.

For KS1 most assessment can be done in small group practical activities. I think a written test would be unsound for most of my children as they are nearly 50% EAL and they would struggle to read and understand a written paper. I still have no trouble working out where they are and what they need to know.

I have hijacked thread for a personal rant - sorry.

For the OP I would say that the other posters are right. Your dd should be reassured that she isn't expected to get everything right and that she will be helped to find it easier the next time. Although, how you can expect any child to complete a 'test' and expect them to feel ok about not being able to answer the questions is anybody's guess...sorry...off again...

noideawhereIamgoing Wed 09-Sep-09 21:55:12

My dc was assessed by test at the end of every half term in Year 1. Kids knew they were being tested, my dc told me that she did really badly and she knew that because they marked each others papers and then shouted out the result to the teacher. They used Collins Primary Maths Assess & Review (I know because I was given a copy by the teacher to show me how badly she'd done).sad

souvenir Wed 09-Sep-09 21:55:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now