Talk

Advanced search

do teachers/assistants still look in bookbags in yr one?

(10 Posts)
bigchris Tue 08-Sep-09 07:25:27

In reception last year the ta took out all letters and looked in contact book
yesterday when ds came home his dinner money was still in his bookbag
surely he's a bit young to hand it in himself and arent they meant to look in his contact book??!

CybilLiberty Tue 08-Sep-09 07:28:54

Surely an oversight at the start of term?

gladbag Tue 08-Sep-09 08:00:30

At my son's school all the reception children are trained to take everything out of their bags - letters, water bottle and lunch money, and put them in the right places. I was concerned that slightly ditzy ds would never get the hang of it, but a few weeks in and he was completely independent.

I would expect Y1 children to be able to do it themselves, but would also expect school to help them get the routine sorted. Maybe that's what happens in Y1 at your school, but the system isn't in place yet. I would ask what the expectation is this morning, explaining about the money, then you and school can help reminding him what to do.

Clayhead Tue 08-Sep-09 08:06:35

I have expected my dc to do this themselves in year 1 and checked their bags to make sure stuff is handed in. I think their bags still get checked when they read but this may not be every day.

bigchris Tue 08-Sep-09 10:05:57

yes i suspect i'm jumping the gun and should wait a while

mankyscotslass Tue 08-Sep-09 10:22:41

Our children are expected to empty their bookbags themselves from the start of YR1.

The last term in reception they are encouraged to start doing this, but the teacher did check.

mankyscotslass Tue 08-Sep-09 10:24:03

And they have to tell the teacher if there is a note in his Home/School book!

I ended up having to remind Ds every day just before he went in, but he would still sometimes forget......

mrz Tue 08-Sep-09 19:05:56

I'm a reception teacher and I don't routinely check children's school bags.
I would ask children if they had lunch money and ask them to go and look in their bag.

MrsMagnolia Tue 08-Sep-09 19:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Tue 08-Sep-09 19:38:09

I would also ask them to get their own home school diary from their bag

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now