Talk

Advanced search

my ds had no-one to play with at break today

(6 Posts)
pinkthechaffinch Mon 07-Sep-09 20:28:03

Hi

Any advice greatly appreciated.

My ds (7) started back at school today. He started this school last half term after we moved, and he hasn't made any close friends yet.

today, he came out of the classroom happily enough but when I asked him , he said he hadn't played with anyone in the break times 'just coped' sad.

He's a sociable lad and has a few close friends that he's been playing with regularly over the holidays and is generally good at getting on with children-just reluctant to 'interrupt their games' (his words).

What can I do to help him? He's been to Beavers tonight, which he enjoyed.

Anyone else going through similar?

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Mon 07-Sep-09 20:33:46

"just coped" bless his little cotton socks

My ds1 is nearly 7 and has ASD, so we have been through periods when he has really struggled socially and we have had occasions where he has cried and said "the other children don't like me" sad

it makes you want to chew your arm off, doesn't it? You know your little boy is sociable and friendly and would be fine if he could just "crack" the cliques

I would have a word with his teacher and TA and just ask them to do their best to promote and encourage any incipient friendships - they can be aware when partnering children for activities etc

my son's teacher and TA last year were brilliant at this, it made so much difference and he is now "up and running" and has friends he can play with most of the time (he still has odd days and awkward days because of the ASD, but that's a separate issue)

Also could you invite a couple of the children he likes round for tea/play? Sometimes if they play one-to-one for a couple of hours and form a bond it can work wonders when they are back in the class environment together.

Hulababy Mon 07-Sep-09 20:36:22

Can you have a quiet word with his teacher?

Firstly you can check if this is actually the case. I say this as we have had children say they didn't play with anyone when in reality they did.

But most importantly, so the teacher can keep an eye out and encourage him to join in, and for others to encourage him to play with them. Teacher could buddy him up with someone for a specific job, etc. to break the ice.

pinkthechaffinch Mon 07-Sep-09 20:38:46

Thanks ever so much for your suggestions; I'm going to have a word with his teacher tomorrow.

ABetaDad Mon 07-Sep-09 21:05:53

I agree with hulababy. It may have happened but then again maybe not. I cannot count the number of times DSs cam ehome sayng no one played with tem but after framing teh questiona adifferent way they admitted they had played loads its just that one child had rejected them when they asked to join a game.

UnquietDad Mon 07-Sep-09 21:07:24

DD went through a stage of this and it turned out that she had been invited to play but didn't fancy the games she was offered. Definitely worth speaking to the teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now