Talk

Advanced search

What instrument for Year 2 DD?

(49 Posts)
AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 10:32:53

I have left it too long and there is a waiting list at school for DD. She is entering year 2 and they can choose between violin and piano. But, I have slacked off getting her name down and now she is on a waiting list. Oops!

So now I am thinking that we will have to find tuition outside of school. And if I am going to do this, then I guess I have more to choose from then just violin and piano.

So, please, help me out here. I have no idea what instrument or anything else about music really. But, she has taken ballet, tap, and modern dance for several years. So I think an instrument would compliment her dance very well. So I am keen for her to pick something up. Just don't know what!

I asked her what instrument she would like play. And she paused, looked up and said "electric guitar". She's 6. I don't think so. She is on the petite side, so big instruments are out for now.

I am sort of pondering the recorder for a year and then let her pick an instrument. I don't want to make a big investment in something she may lose interest in in 6 months. But, I am willing to invest in something she really wants to learn.

Over to the MN collective wisdom...

stripes200 Fri 04-Sep-09 10:37:24

I'd go for violin unless you have the room for a piano in your house.

Practise makes perfect and if she can't practise at home she'll never be very good.

AramintaCane Fri 04-Sep-09 10:42:36

Violin. As they get older music becomes a social thing if you play an orchestral instument. It is lovely to have a group that you play with. Much more fun. Show her some people playing electric violin on youtube that will encourage her.

AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 10:43:47

I thought the same thing when violin and piano were my only choices. But now that we are stuck on a waiting list I am thinking that I could go get private tuition and would have more choices.

I am wondering if recorder is a good first instrument?

stealthsquiggle Fri 04-Sep-09 10:45:12

If you don't have room for a piano at home, don't go for piano - DS was doing OK with practising on a toy keyboard for the few months before we got one (on freecycle, thank goodness), but is really off and flying now I have overruled DH and we have one.

Violin would not be a huge investment - a good (e.g. suzuki) group lesson would probably be fun for her - or a recorder group which might lead on to other woodwind stuff if she is keen?

LIZS Fri 04-Sep-09 10:45:59

I'd say piano as that would give her a basic grounding in reading music but if she wants to be part of a group then violin if some are available to loan.

AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 10:46:37

Oh, that's a good point, araminta. Now, what other instruments would be in the orchestral group, but still suitable for a 6 year old?

AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 10:48:43

Ther is no space / budget for a piano in my house. Actually, I could probably make space. But, I am not buying a piano at this time as I think they are very expensive.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Fri 04-Sep-09 10:49:11

DD2 (9) started on the recorder and still plays with the school recorder club at lunchtime. She also plays the cello which she started in year 2. I honestly don't know if the recorder helped her cello playing or not, but she enjoys it.
DD1 (12) plays the violin and has never played anything else. She started in Year 3.
DD3 (7) started the violin in Year 1 which was probably a year too young (she was only just 5), but she really wanted to.
With all of mine, the key was letting them choose the instrument (although if I'd known how bloody heavy the cello was going to be to carry about I might have had second thoughts.)
I have seen a book called The right instrument for your child recommended on here before - might be worth a look.

stealthsquiggle Fri 04-Sep-09 10:53:43

If you can make space, and are sufficiently ruthless determined, it is possible to do what we did and get a piano on freecycle - I have seen others offered since we got ours. It's not concert standard, but the piano tuner said it is a perfectly good first piano (a new one would have been £2500+ shock).

AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 11:54:21

We are not starting anything that might cost £2500 to replace in the near or distant future. shock

AramintaCane Fri 04-Sep-09 12:04:50

You can get an ok violin to start with at less the £50. Some music shops will give you half the money back and resell the instrument if your child changes their mind. Most violin teachers can put you in touch with a parent who is selling an instrument that a child has grown out of.

AramintaCane Fri 04-Sep-09 12:07:18

If you want something that gives more instant satisfaction you could try a brass instrument. Most County councils provvide a cheap hiring service. Brass instruments are cheaper here for some reason.

nickelbabe Fri 04-Sep-09 12:07:40

if she's a dancer, then a violin might affect her posture in a negative way (for dance, not for life!)
let her do something that involves more central positioning or posture.
i know you said no to electric guitar, but there's not reason why she can't learn classical guitar (and you can get those in smaller sizes)

thedolly Fri 04-Sep-09 12:12:14

Playing violin is great for posture (if it's done properly).

watfordmummy Fri 04-Sep-09 12:12:28

Would second wind intruments here too, Ds1 learnt recorder in Yr 2 and then moved on to oboe, as he had learnt recorder could read music so easier.

thedolly Fri 04-Sep-09 12:13:27

My DD plays violin and piano but she prefers piano as it is 'easier'.

AramintaCane Fri 04-Sep-09 13:37:50

thedolly I am amazed your dd finds piano easier. You have to learn to read two lines of music at the same time which is very hard indeed. grin

AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 14:06:34

watfordmummy, that is kind of what I am thinking. If she takes up recorder it will lead her into woodwind, which I think are more suited to her personaility. And if she hates it, I won't get too worked up about the price of a recorder. Also, DD is very competitive. If she takes on something that is very difficult to learn she will get frustrated and hate it. But, as the recorder is rather easy to learn, she might find some quick satisfaction from it.

And SHE can carry it. smile

Most of the instuments listed here I've been told she it too young for (flute, guitar, clarinet, etc.)

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 04-Sep-09 14:16:27

If she's only just entering Y2 she's still very young

With recorder she'll get to learn to read music and it will lead to woodwind, which she could start Y3 (though I have a feeling that woodwind instruments relate to how far front teeth have grown rather than being age specific). Then she can join the school orchestra/wind band etc.

We also banned strings in this house because of the grating sound grin We also have no space for a piano - most dc's started off on piano tend to beg to drop it well before end of primary school.

AramintaCane Fri 04-Sep-09 14:21:49

We have five violins in our house and no grating sounds thank you grin. Recorder is much worse.

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 04-Sep-09 14:28:43

Araminta grin

KembleTwins Fri 04-Sep-09 14:29:50

I can't speak as a mum, because my DTs are only 3, but I started playing the piano at 6 myself and would heartily recommend it. My parents got a second hand piano - not hugely expensive, which did perfectly well for very nearly 10 years. When they found they had some spare cash, they upgraded to better one, still second hand. My sister and I both learned, and whilst my sister gave up when she was 16 or so, I carried on learning til I went to university (got through all my grades by 16) and got so much enjoyment out of it. I know it's a pain to get one and find room for it, but it's so versatile - I sing too, so can play for myself, and since becoming a teacher, it's been an invaluable skill.

AramintaCane Fri 04-Sep-09 14:44:40

How about ukulele grin then guitar when older.

Lancelottie Fri 04-Sep-09 14:51:03

Araminta -- I think the problem with brass instruments is you need the front teeth to be securely through, which may well not be the case at the start of Year 2.

If not keen on grating violin noises, I'm not sure beginner trumpeting is much of an improvement, either.

OP -- how tolerant are your neighbours? Luckily ours are elderly, deaf and indulgent types!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now