Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone qualify for free school meals and get the packed lunch option?

(6 Posts)
evansmummy Thu 03-Sep-09 15:43:39

Just wondering what it's like. Ds started reception today, he's only doing mornings til half term but after that will stay to lunch. They only have packed lunches at school, so I presumed, even though we're eligible for free school meals, that he wouldn't get one as they don't offer hot meals. I found out today that he can get a packed lunch delivered to school, and they pop it in his lunch box on the quiet so noone notices. Does anyone know what's in them or if this is a good idea? I don't want him to go hungry (he's a bit picky) or be embarrassed etc

StillNorks Thu 03-Sep-09 15:47:15

Not sure I know faq's DC had the packed lunch option but cannot remember what was in it, she did discuss it so, if you search thoroughly you may find out if noone else comes along. unfortunateyl she has deregged so you cannot ask her again.

My dd is starting on free school meals but she will have a hot meal. she is devastated as all her friends are having packed lunch

evansmummy Fri 04-Sep-09 09:31:17

Thanks for that. Will have a gander. Sorry about your dd. She'll hopefully make new lunch friends? It's hard being different when you're small isn't it...

UniS Fri 04-Sep-09 15:12:56

worth claiming and trying to see if he will eat it. schools get certain fundings etcs according to how many children are on free meals, so, claiming if you are eligible can be a good thing for the school. As he gets older there can be funding for other activities ( like sports and trips) available to those who have free lunches.
Ask at school office for info and "menu".

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 05-Sep-09 01:30:49

MY DC have a free packed lunch. It's usually very good - sandwich/roll with various fillings, a yoghurt, jelly or similar, and a pack of fruit plus a carton drink - again a good variety. Much better than I used to be able to afford before we had ended up in a position of getting the free school ones. They take their empty lunch boxes in (2 at different schools - both have same system) put their lunchbox with all the other lunchboxes, during morning class time the lunches are put in and they eat it.

Not had any issues with them being embarassed or anything.

norksinmywaistband Sat 05-Sep-09 09:12:59

Good to see you ALFA, I have changed back to my old name now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now