Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone's DCS cry on their first day?

(22 Posts)
MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 12:11:12

Ds (4.5) started reception today,

Fine on the way, fine when I dropped him off so I thought I'd got away with it!

Then I just casually asked his teacher how he'd been and she mentioned there were some tears but he recovered quickly.

i asked him about it (casually) & he said I just missed you so much mummy [heartbreak emoticon]. I don't know what would be worse, him crying in front of me or when I'm not there.

Anyway, he's fine now and raring to go back tommorrow smile

Anyone else experienced any tears?

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 12:14:28

tomorrow

potplant Thu 03-Sep-09 12:16:14

My DTs started reception last year - one cried all the way there then stopped. The other was fine all the way then cried when I went to leave.

All perfectly normal IMO.

(I cried all the way there, there and all the way back blush)

MarshaBrady Thu 03-Sep-09 12:17:28

He nearly did.

I did when home (bloody 'ell!)

Only 3 hours to go.

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 12:21:30

Perfectly normal: thanks PotPlant I think that's what I wanted to hear smile

Somehow I managed to keep it all in till I got there, then cried on the way back

Marsha Is yours in for a full day? Ds is only attending mornings atm

MarshaBrady Thu 03-Sep-09 12:23:05

Yes until 3.30 full days straight away. I am sitting in a blanket type wrap thingo looking a mess until then smile

ingles2 Thu 03-Sep-09 12:24:36

funnily enough the ds I thought would absolutely fine, was in tears for days. On the first day he had to be forcefully carried in by the head bless him..
Whilst ds2, who I thought would be in pieces, not a backwards glance grin
All totally normal Mrs Danvers and the reception teacher will be very used to it...

deaddei Thu 03-Sep-09 12:26:45

My ds cried in bed last night- he's going into yr 6!!!
Just a bit apprehensive about the teacher, who is quite strict-(fantastic!)- some of the boys have been telling each other horror stories about her.
Anyway, he was raring to go this morning.

mimsum Thu 03-Sep-09 12:28:35

dd still cries and she's about to go into y2 - however she loves school and is flying academically, has lots of friends, throws herself into everything going - it's just that moment of separation - I hate it, but I've learned to be brisk and cheerful about it - very draining emotionally though (for me, not her!)

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 12:29:49

thanks all

my dd(10)was very different, to the point of ignoring me till I left!

This is my first experience of tears

potplant Thu 03-Sep-09 12:32:53

We only had tears on the first day and then a bit clingy for a couple of weeks after that.

There is a little girl who was still crying regularly up till the end of the summer term. I felt for her mother.

fluffles Thu 03-Sep-09 12:35:17

"On the first day he had to be forcefully carried in by the head bless him.."

OMG i thought you meant by HIS head shock then i realised you mean the headteacher... don't you??? hmm

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 12:36:51

grin me too

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 12:38:23

um, maybe ingles needs to clarify!

Bodenista Thu 03-Sep-09 13:00:53

If it wasn't the headmaster it seems a very tough measure wink

Had tears today too, from DS. He & I both recovered now.

IME it seems more boys than girls that cry, don't know why.

OrmIrian Thu 03-Sep-09 13:04:19

My DS2 cried today - he's in Yr2 and it's the first time shock The SENCO saw him in tears and gave him a hug and she went to find the TA who also have him a hug, found his best mate and took them both in to class together grin There are some lovely people in our school.

DS#1 cried every day until half way through yr2 sad Now that was a marathon - absolutely heart-breaking. DD didn't cry once. They are all so different.

katiestar Thu 03-Sep-09 13:05:52

My DD2 started this morning .She didn't seem quite as smiley as usual but otherwise Ok.Lots of others were very clingy though.
DD1 was a bit unsure .She is a summer born Y4 and will be in a mixed YR4/5/6 class with a shouty teacher.

Nettee Thu 03-Sep-09 13:59:25

I had a tear in my eye this moring - DS's first day in reception. He just sat down on got on with playing with the toys with hardly a back ward glance. I think the Head mistress had a tear in her eye too this morning which is rather touching - she is lovely.

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 14:14:34

Your school does sound lovely OrmIrian smile. You must be made of stern stuff to cope with all that crying!

Luckily the one friend that DS knew before from his nursery class had a spare seat next to him so I left him there.

Nettee I was a bit upset when dd didn't seem to need me on her first day, and upset today when ds missed me. I suppose there's no pleasing me...

katiestar Thu 03-Sep-09 14:40:55

After over 14 years of having a pre-school child i have to say what a fanstastic day I have had.I have got SO much done !

MrsDanversWorksForTheDM Thu 03-Sep-09 14:43:59

There is that Katie!

ingles2 Fri 04-Sep-09 12:01:07

PMSL at the thought of dragging ds1 in by the head, I could of pulled by one ear no?
grin
No, it was the head teacher, quite amusing really as HeadT v. small, ds1 a big strapping boy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now