Talk

Advanced search

How can I help my DS read? Just starting school

(15 Posts)
Starbear Thu 03-Sep-09 10:46:08

I have not pushed my son to read or do his letters as I wanted him to enjoy his childhood. he is going to start school on Monday. (just listen to woman's hour re reading) He can remember the most wonderful verbal facts about other countries and space and what we said in private about neighbours blush But he cannot look at a number or letter and repeat what he has seen and told 5 seconds before. I do not want to put him off learning. I'm Dyslexic and do not want him to suffer the way I have. How do you support and assist a child that letters,reading and numbers does not come naturally early?

MissSunny Thu 03-Sep-09 11:29:09

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Thu 03-Sep-09 11:40:08

The teacher will know all sorts of ways of making this stuff make sense to different children, so don't worry too much about it. I would expect they will have a meeting with the new parents soon into the term to tell you about how you can help support the schoolwork at home - like hearing them read, and what you should expect at this stage. But don't hassle him or fret if he doesn't seem to be picking it up - they each seem to "click" with it in their own time, and all you can do is gently encourage them till that happens.

Do see the teacher if you think he might be dyslexic too, as then she'll be able to keep an eye on that.

OtterInaSkoda Thu 03-Sep-09 16:48:24

starbear, I found this book:Teaching Kids To Read really useful. perhaps your local library might have a copy

blithedance Thu 03-Sep-09 16:56:05

I listened to that report too. My children have been very different and I'd say see how it goes. If your DS isn't reading by the END of reception you may have an issue, but not now.

My DS1 although he's always loved stories, was never interested in letters much pre-school, and didn't click with reading himself until almost Easter. DS2 has practically taught himself to read before starting Reception just from words around him.

Children are all different and learn in different ways. Once you start getting reading books home from school you can work along with the teacher, and have a chat at the first parents evening.

mrz Thu 03-Sep-09 17:11:41

I'm a reception teacher and none of my class starting on Monday can read or know their letters so don't worry.
Share stories and show him how much fun reading can be.
Once he's in school the teacher will give you plenty of advice on how you can help at home.

Starbear Thu 03-Sep-09 17:22:38

Ops! I forgot to say he is left handed as well. I really don't want to put any block in his way. I wavier from a little push isn't a bad thing, to let it all take it's natural course OtterInaSkoda Thank you I'll look at that later. mrz Thank you for your words of encouragement. We have read to him since he was 6 months it is a part of our bedtime routine. We also get him comics at the weekend instead of sweets. It's just when I try and have a go at teaching I start to lose my temper and say heavy things (promise to stop) like it's important to read and for god sake I just told you that was an 'R' most. Other times, I just bit my tongue but it escapes. I know it should be a drip drip effect but I'm just not consistant.

clumsymum Thu 03-Sep-09 17:29:53

I have to say that I think just reading to them, with them sitting looking at the page with you works as well as anything.

My ds could read quite well on starting school, simply because he learnt almost by osmosis. He would sit tucked up against me, and I would read to him, moving my finger under the words as I read. He just picked it up (I had done the same with my mum 40 years earlier).

So I didn't teach him, It just happened.

Mousey84 Thu 03-Sep-09 17:36:33

With writing, do encourage proper letter formation at home, as teacher may not take the time to teach him (its different for left hand than right) I didnt with DD and its been a right pita.

Despite reading several books a day to her since the day she was born, DD could not read before starting school but was reading fluently by the end. Now its getting her to stop reading (and go to sleep) thats the problem!

Starbear Thu 03-Sep-09 17:50:20

Mousey84 Thank you. I'm going to find out more about left-handed writing. He holds the pen well but he wants to write in a mirror fashion! I know he can start writing Arabic smile Must go I can smell dinner burning!

blithedance Thu 03-Sep-09 20:01:46

My older child is left handed - my friend who is an Occupational Therapist has given me some material for helping him write - that might be more of a challenge for you.

I really haven't tried to teach my DC's anything academic except by chatting about the world around us. Now social skills and table manners, that's different grin I can get very heavy there.

LadyHooHa Thu 03-Sep-09 20:02:59

I'd say it will happen when he's ready. It happened with my DS when he was two; it is only just happening with DD, who's 5.3. They're all different, and they all get there in the end!!

Starbear Thu 03-Sep-09 21:00:51

Bought some flash cards today and he was very keen to 'play' with them which is a very good sign. I'm going to try and keep it light and fun as possible and just keep serving him the information in the way you serve different veg & foods to kids and hope he won't be negative. I'm hoping the school can guide him and us in his left-handed writing. Thanks for the info and tips.

SoupDragon Thu 03-Sep-09 21:03:35

Personally, I think a parent can do far more good teaching their child to want to read and to enjoy books rather than actually teaching them to read. Leave the mechanics of it to the teachers.

LadyHooHa Thu 03-Sep-09 22:10:35

FWIW, I 'taught' DS to read by walking around the local area with him. His first reading was street signs and road names (walking around the neighbourhood is good for counting, too). Then it was shopping lists, finding things on shelves in the supermarket, finding the Dysons in the Argos catalogue (he was obsessed), etc, etc. By the time he started Reception, he was reading pretty much anything; he would have been bored and frustrated if I'd left it up to his school to teach him. But as I say, it depends so much on the child. He only needed me to tell him the letter sounds once, and that was it. DD needs reminding again and again, even if she's just had the same thing seconds before. I am more than glad to hand over the whole thing to her teacher!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now