Talk

Advanced search

West London and Primary schools

(7 Posts)
superbabe Wed 02-Sep-09 14:09:49

We will possibly be relocating from abroad to London in Summer 2010. My priority is to get my by then 10 year old son (going into year 6)into a good school either state or fee paying. He is a very sociable, sporty boy but struggles a little academically.I know the Surrey area well but am not so knowledgeable about West London areas as far as schooling and housing is concerned. I'm thinking of maybe Wimbledon areas, East Sheen, Mortlake, Kew, Teddington. Any advice welcome!

deaddei Wed 02-Sep-09 15:45:17

Most schools in this area are heavily oversubscribed- however you may be lucky getting him in at yr 6, as some children leave end of yr 5 for prep school.
East Sheen v expensive!
Good state schools in all those areas- depends how much you are planning to spend on a house.

noideawhereIamgoing Wed 02-Sep-09 15:57:05

State secondary in Wimbledon is pretty awful - it was our reason for moving. Big competition for grammer schools. Not sure about entrance exams for private but remember rumours of the standard required being pretty high too.

deaddei Wed 02-Sep-09 19:00:43

Yes state secs dodgy in Wimbledon, but good privates.
Grammars- Tiffin, Sutton etc EXTREMELY competitive, and probably not the right school for your ds.

MissSunny Wed 02-Sep-09 23:05:39

Message withdrawn

AtheneNoctua Fri 04-Sep-09 10:24:26

I think I would be looking to private schools for senior school in West London. Most of the Grammars are gone. And if he struggles academically, then Tiffin is out. I would recommend the Good Schools Guide. Or I would start a thread asking specifically about boys private senior schools.

Or...

I would consider a move to Kent/Bucks where Grammar schools still exist.

superbabe Fri 04-Sep-09 11:01:33

Thanks for the replies so far! We have to stick to West London mainly due to my husband's commute. We will probably rent for the first year so that we can find the right house for us but obviously schools are a priority. My son will go to the same Boarding school(assuming he will want to) as his sister when he goes into year 9. So I'm looking for a school to see him through year 8.
I'm really looking for a school that has a good 'all round' ethos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now