Talk

Advanced search

I want to change ds2 to school over the road from me ex is opposing me

(14 Posts)
Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 11:20:11

Ex and I share care with the boys. DS1 and 2 went to the school near to him and family home. DS1 now goes to comp in the same street as me now.
There's a good primary over the road from me and I've suggested ds2 go there now (he's yr 4) I know he wouldn't be keen at first as it's a big change but it'd be more practical all round and he's sociable so would settle in.
Ex is strongly opposing saying it'd be too upsetting for him. He said we should have a meeting with present school. Also said he'll lend me his car when I have dss. I don't see how this will work to be honest as usually I'm fitting in with him and his work as he works for himself?
I want to go back to work soon doing hair locally to start with until I can afford a car. I don't like driving but will have to get back into it. I also thought I may do some childminding but it'll be impossible if boys are at 2 schools. DS1 may be ok alone once he gets used to school but I am a little over protective of him.
I'm thinking we should see a family mediator as ex is very stubborn and I know he won't change. Or maybe this is a waste of time?
I'm really stuck as to what to do as I know it's not going to be practical in the long run and ds2 has 3 years left at primary.

edam Tue 01-Sep-09 11:22:41

Not sure what to advise but ds1 won't want Mum taking him to secondary school for very long, if at all.

edam Tue 01-Sep-09 11:23:16

sorry, 'his' Mum!

Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 11:25:05

No I won't be taking him at all he's in the same street I just don't like leaving him alone while I walk 2 miles to the other school. Plus ex will have to bring him over drop him here to go to school then go back over to where he lives to take ds2.

Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 11:28:51

Forgot to say there isn't a bus now, there was but the routes all got changed.

pleasechange Tue 01-Sep-09 11:31:27

tbh I think at that age he'd probably be better staying at the same primary school, as a change now may be quite disruptive

Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 11:32:27

Thanks for your input allnew.

hercules1 Tue 01-Sep-09 11:33:50

I wouldnt change him and I can see why your ex is against it. SOunds like he's trying very hard to help you.

Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 11:39:30

Thanks hercules1 it helps to get other peoples opinions.

MadameCastafiore Tue 01-Sep-09 11:46:45

Your husband is stubborn just because he will not agree with you? hmm

He just sounds sensible to me.

hercules1 Tue 01-Sep-09 11:54:35

The only thing that might be a concern is if the primary nearer to you is a feeder for the secondary school.

Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 11:59:25

Yes it is a feeder.

hercules1 Tue 01-Sep-09 12:05:54

Will he get in to your local secondary if he stays where he is?

Curiousmama Tue 01-Sep-09 12:10:23

Yes he will if I stay in this street/area. Dp and I are going to get a house together but do want to stay round here as there's a great park over the road and it's a nice area.
The secondary near ex has a bad name whereas this one near to me is excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now