Talk

Advanced search

Why is the inquistion not included in relgious education?

(21 Posts)
JoeyF Mon 31-Aug-09 20:13:24

Bearing in mind this was the primary purpose for most of the last 1000 years why is the crimes of the inquistion not covered in depth in relgious education along with the likes of aztects (think Apocalipto he movie) with mass human sacrifice.

inquistion

Along with witch burning, the treatment of the native americans the religious wars, crusades etc.

Plus the quasi relgions such as fanaic communist states where the state was worshiped like a god or how roman emperors sometimes had people thinking hey were one.

Buddisim including stuff like shoulin monks... (the kids will love that)

Plus
other pagan relgions, wicca and how n reality witches where never all ugly old women into abusing and eating litle kids bu victems of persectution for healing the sick with herbal medicines and early science and psychology with no history of relgious war?

Plus assignments on things like the irish magdelen laundries, honour killings, forced arranged marriages, female genital mutilation.

Issues like sexsim and unfair treatment of females in many relgions with xceptions like wicca.

encouraging kids to think and question not just accept?

hercules1 Mon 31-Aug-09 20:15:25

Well, you could get yourself on your local SACRE which decides what is taught in your local region and put your suggestions forward. Most SACREs prefer what is taught to reflect religious beliefs which are the majority in the local area.

Hassled Mon 31-Aug-09 20:19:47

I think education increasingly encourages children to think and question, rather than accept. Look at Enquiry Based Learning, which is being used even at Infant School Level. Lots of schools are adopting the International Primary Curriculum, which uses some of the same ideas, and the new National Curriculum, already trialled, will incorporate some of the same teaching methods.

I can't answer re your specific examples, but children are taught in a much more imaginative, broad-brush approach now than certainly in my way. They do get the chance to see the bigger picture and certainly do a lot of comparative religion.

Hassled Mon 31-Aug-09 20:20:34

my day, not way.

edam Mon 31-Aug-09 20:23:34

Good question - certainly never touched on in my day either in RS or in History (up to O-level RS, A-level History).

edam Mon 31-Aug-09 20:26:19

Actually vaguely recall mention of the Inquisition in history now I come to think of it. And definitely the religious wars, defenestration of Prague and all that.

But RS, never. O-level syllabus was basically Eng Lit approach to the the synoptic gospels.

mrz Mon 31-Aug-09 20:54:52

The Inquisition is usually taught in history as are religious wars crusades etc.
and alternative religions and atheism /agnosticism are taught in RE
Buddhism has always been part of the RE curriculum

deaddei Mon 31-Aug-09 21:25:13

Must be Informer2 back again.

LadyMuck Mon 31-Aug-09 21:56:15

Because there is only so much time in the primary curriculum, and a number of these topics would be better suited to be considered in secondary.

There does come a point where it is important that children are encouraged to form independent views and judgements. And encouraging them to discuss and examine history is definitely worthwhile, at all ages. Can you cover every subject in school - I doubt it.

noideawhereIamgoing Mon 31-Aug-09 22:41:47

Pretty obvious - the purpose of RE is to promote religion not to promote truth or independent thought.

dogofpoints Mon 31-Aug-09 22:51:46

noidea, you have noidea of RE (also known as RME and RMPS)

LaurieFairyCake Mon 31-Aug-09 22:54:26

Simply because there isn't time.

Critical thinking/independant thought are very much a part of the RS curriculum.

RS does not promote religion at all .

noideawhereIamgoing Mon 31-Aug-09 23:01:12

RS, RME, RMPS??? Our school sticks with Religious Education and although I'd hoped it was about learning about other faiths rather than indoctination into the Church of England, I was wrong. I guess all schools are different - unfortunately our State School is very pro the God squad.

onefunkymama Mon 31-Aug-09 23:03:33

You are a real nutter- cross reference this guy, he's posting ranting nutter posts all over MN

LaurieFairyCake Mon 31-Aug-09 23:03:37

Send them somewhere different then.

Hopefully when they get to secondary they will be taught other faiths and critical thinking.

I think church and state should be separate though.

mrz Tue 01-Sep-09 07:56:27

By onefunkymama on Mon 31-Aug-09 23:03:33
You are a real nutter- cross reference this guy, he's posting ranting nutter posts all over MN

Looking at the posts I think it's a bored teenager

GooseyLoosey Tue 01-Sep-09 07:59:40

I would guess, because it has nothing whatsoever to do with religious ideology and is more about history.

bellissima Tue 01-Sep-09 08:26:20

Coz no one expects it.

lavenderbongo Tue 01-Sep-09 08:33:03

Most of what you mention is touched on in many subjects. I have taught all the humanities subjects and these are all covered - some not until quite late in secondary - but most of them will be covered to a certain degree.

We teach a very wide curriculum and a lot of these subjects are discussed in depth.

Not sure where you are getting your info from.

lavenderbongo Tue 01-Sep-09 08:33:52

grin bellissima

morningpaper Tue 01-Sep-09 08:39:39

These subjects are more about the history of religion which is quite a different subject really - and it's all so VAST, people spend their whole lives studying religion - it's an ENORMOUS topic. It's sort of like asking why physics lessons don't include information about Hiroshima - I mean, yes, they are linked to the same discipline but you can learn about physics without learning everything about the philosophical ethics and history of the subject.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now