Talk

Advanced search

What would happen if I did not apply for DD to go to school?

(30 Posts)
PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:05:37

I am not actually thinking about it, but I am curious to know, given that I am scatter brained and keep forgetting to send of my MATB1 form to work as my brain in made of marshmallow.

But it got me thinking. What if I did not apply by Dec for DDs primary school place in Sept '10/Jan '11? Clearly they know she exists as they have just sent me some info on how to apply and when by.

Would she just be allocated the closest place with a space? Would she not be registered at all? Would they know? What would they do if she did not go to school at all?

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:09:21

A lot of people don't send to school. Home education is an option. If you don't want to do this I would make a note of when to apply. You would be OK if your local school has a place but if it is popular you would miss out.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:11:44

So, if I did not do it, or register home ed, she would be allocated a place with the nearest school, either the local one, or another one that has a place?

I best sort it soon then, she is not going to the local school!

I am pretty sure I won't forget, but then, I put a t-shirt in the loo instead of the laundry bin the other day, so I cannot guarantee!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:12:58

Home Ed is interesting as a concept - does it have to be 9-4 monday - friday for example? Or can you do it around work, say, if you work 2 days a week. Do you have to be a full time SAHP to do it? That is probably another thread isn't it?

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:15:08

And also, sorry, full of questions.

*why are they presuming she is going to school in Sept 10/Jan 11, when she is not 5 until the term of Sept 11? They do not explain we can opt out of sending her, they have worded it to suggest she has to go to school at this age.

Its not compulsory now is it, to send a child at 4? If so, why make it appear so? Rather than giving a parent an informed choice?

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:17:06

You don't register to Home Ed-I expect it will come, but HomeEducators are fighting it.You just get on and do it. If you don't want the job and you don't want the local school I would get in early. The government giving parental choice is a myth! You have a choice if there is room. If it is over subscribed, find out the criteria for a place and make a strong case.

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:18:50

They have to go at the age of 5 yrs-unless you are going to educate at home. Post on the HE threads for advice-it doesn't have to be school hours or anything like school.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:20:23

I will have a better choice in that I work with criminals and there are a few I recalled to prison in the past whose children go to the local school, not really a good idea to mix my child with their child (risk of bullying, revenge, personal information known etc) I was told that on that basis (risk) I would be exempt from sending DD to that school and because it applies to many of the local city schools, I would likely get priority in the next catchment area, which happens to be a good school and not a risk that I know of (does not mean offenders do not send their children there, but I do not know for sure they do).

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:22:18

That is a very good case-I know a policewoman who had the same problem-she sent them to one out of her catchment area.

choosyfloosy Tue 25-Aug-09 22:22:42

I would think one of the main pluses of home education is that it doesn't have to be at fixed hours/days, and it doesn't have to include all the makework faffing sheer STUFF schools have to do to move an enormous number of children around.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:22:51

Piscesmoon - i might even do that. I had thought, not possible as I work. But if that does not affect anything, it might be worth considering?

So, if school is not compulsory until 5, I could in theory just ignore it and leave it until the following year?

I think we will have her start in Jan, the school we want her to go to does Jan intakes so I presume if her birthday is July, she would be with this intake? Not so bad I guess, at 4.5. I would prefer 5-6 though to be honest.

LadyMuck Tue 25-Aug-09 22:23:10

If she isn't 5 until Sept 11 then she can't go to school in Sept 10/Jan 11. Unless this is a nursery application.

If you don't apply she doesn't get a place. She isn't automatically assigned one at the nearest or indeed any school. Neither of my children have been offered a state school place to the best of my knowledge, and if I needed one I would have to apply just like everyone else.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:24:20

yes, same principles as the policewoman, for the same reasons. Lucky me as the local school really is shite!

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:27:24

If you apply late you will be allocated a school with space-if you are lucky there will still be one of your choice. You won't be assigned to one unless you apply. As you appear to be on record you will most likely be chased up and will have to send, or opt to Home Educate. They may well have space for your DD at the age of 4 yrs but you don't have to take it up until 5yrs.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:27:56

lady - no sorry, she is 5 in the July before. I meant that would she not have to go to school in the following sept after she was 5. I did not make myself clear.

So, if I don't apply, she just does not go to school, end of, or we make alternative arrangements (home ed, private, whatever).

Like I said, I will send her to school, or educate her somehow! Just was sat her wondering what it all means, how much power the government actually have to make us teach our children in their chosen establishments, when they want it to happen, and what might happen if we chose not to follow the herd.

LadyMuck Tue 25-Aug-09 22:28:42

But Pavlov's dd will be 3 at the start of Sept 10 (admittedly 3years, 11 months and some days, but less than 4)

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:29:34

No, she will be 4 and 2 months. I have confused you, sorry.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:30:14

Or, have I confused myself? hmm

She is 3 and one month now.

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:31:00

4yr olds often just do mornings.
The law says that a DC has to be educated-but how you do it is up to you, either private, state or at home. You don't have the option of doing nothing.

LadyMuck Tue 25-Aug-09 22:31:34

Oh, ok misread your post. Well I haven't been chased up at any point for not submitting an application.

I do know that various people seem to forget to apply for their subsequent children and then have tremendous difficulty when they discover that their child has not got a place at the same school as their sibling.

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:32:38

If you are really interested in home educating I would post on the Home Education threads for advice-there is a lot of support.

hocuspontas Tue 25-Aug-09 22:32:52

If you don't register then you won't be offered any place. They will assume you are HEing or going private I would imagine

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 25-Aug-09 22:37:24

pisces - promise I am not intending on just leaving her to learn on her own! Agree she might be a tad too young for that.

I might talk things over with DH about Home Ed though, so thanks for the heads up there. Once I have got some initial thoughts from him I might wonder over to the HE threads and get some more info about it.

piscesmoon Tue 25-Aug-09 22:50:13

You will find lots of information on education otherwise

(The home educators will be amazed if they read this thread-they have me down as very anti because I stand up for schools and think they should be regulated-HE has its good points-you also don't have to do it for ever-you can opt in at any time, there is a lot to be said for not starting formal education until 7yrs IMO).

Clary Wed 26-Aug-09 00:32:43

I know someone who forgot to apply for a place at the school her two older children go to.

She just never filled in the form shock

The school actually asked her about it! which was when she realised.

I think he's ended up getting a place tho smile

Pavlov, piscesmoon has good advice as usual. FWIW if you want to go out of catchment to a popular school, I would apply for reception year as they may end up not having places for year 1 (ie when yr DD is 5). Also reception is well worth not missing out on (see threads passim)

<btw piscesmoon, seeker and I think that the 3 of us may be separated at birth. Whaddya reckon???>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now