Talk

Advanced search

DD is starting school in September - does she need anything else other than herself?

(51 Posts)
MissisBoot Sun 23-Aug-09 19:11:57

I've got uniforms, shoes, PE kit, lunchbox etc

But just suddenly thought does she need a pencil case or anything like that?

Thanks - I fear I'm woefully unprepared!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 19:19:36

Water bottle

No pencil case until Juniors

JiminyCricket Sun 23-Aug-09 20:03:34

Unless they have given you a list, that sounds fine. Be prepared for noticeboards to demand that you provide random items at the drop of a hat. Has she a warm coat AND a waterproof one? And a suitable hat for hot days. Wellies to walk in in if its wet (most don't do this at school, but it is requested by school). Daps in PE kit? I was thrown by a sudden demand for trainers for outdoor PE (dd never wears trainers so didn't have any). We have to provide a fruit/veg snack every day, so little pots or bags are handy. On hot days you may need an all day sun block to apply before school. Everyone else will be less organised than you, so don't worry. I forget something most weeks and she has to make do or I have to run home for it.

MissisBoot Sun 23-Aug-09 20:35:08

thanks! will put the hat in her bookbag and try to remember a water bottle - good idea.

argh - has warm coat that is waterproof too! She has a mac - that should suffice.

what are daps?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 23-Aug-09 20:36:04

Make sure everything has her name on it.

Ixia Sun 23-Aug-09 20:50:07

I think Daps are plimsolls? I feel woefully underprepared as well....

cece Sun 23-Aug-09 20:56:19

I find mine need a warm coat for cold days but also a waterproof coat for warm but wet days...

No pencil case needed till juniors.

Put a key ring on her book bag so she can find it easily in the box of 30 identical bookbags. smile

Name everything!

Ours don't use plimsols for the first term.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sun 23-Aug-09 21:03:28

Something I found/find really useful is a cagoule that folds into its own little bag and can be kept in her bookbag during the summer - for all those sudden showers on days when she hasn't taken her coat.

mrz Mon 24-Aug-09 12:17:47

I'm a reception teacher and all I expect my children to bring is themselves and a bag to put their pictures in and a lunchbox if they are having packed lunch.
We have a filtered water dispenser in the classroom so a water bottle isn't needed (actively discouraged for hygiene reasons).
We have class sets of waterproofs and wellies so only sensible clothes for the weather are needed - warm coat if it's cold and a sun hat if we get an Indian summer in September etc.

I wouldn't send anything extra unless the school has asked for it.

stealthsquiggle Mon 24-Aug-09 12:21:56

Go by the list the school has sent - they really will have put everything on it, and they will let you know if she needs anything else.

My DS has a summer waterproof coat and a (probably outgrown but I will deal with that when it gets cold) winter one. His school mandates wellies, trainers, and 101 other things but they are on the list - if it's not on any list from school then they probably don't need it!

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 24-Aug-09 13:49:54

Message withdrawn

dizzyday07 Tue 25-Aug-09 00:21:01

I've had nothing from DD's school about what she needs shock

When I asked in the office about PE etc they said they will be inside and have to do it in their vest and pants!

I have a bookbag that she had at preschool (that I made myself from Disney Princess material) - do you think this will be OK to use? She'll certainly spot it amongst the royal blue school ones blush

mrz Tue 25-Aug-09 07:59:03

I wouldn't have a problem with a child in my reception class having a Disney princess book bag. As you say easier to pick out so makes my life easier too.

MissisBoot Tue 25-Aug-09 12:03:11

Lovely - thanks for your ideas - no list here either.

giveloveachance Tue 25-Aug-09 12:10:26

dizzyday In their vest and pants?? in this day and age?? you are kidding!!!!??

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 25-Aug-09 12:14:55

For the first few weeks reception children do pe in their uniform. Takes too long for them to get changed.

Sagacious Tue 25-Aug-09 12:18:33

I don't think my dd used her pe kit once in the whole of reception.

The teacher said by the time everyone had got undressed the session was over.

Our school are Very Keen on hats (sun and warm wooly for cold weather)

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 25-Aug-09 13:04:21

Message withdrawn

bodenaddict Tue 25-Aug-09 14:54:59

my dd1 is starting school in sept :-

she has :-

school shoes
uniform
lunch bag and flask
seperate water bottle for drinks fountain
coat
pe bag
plimsoles
school book bag

her school DON'T need :-

pencil cases have pencils etc in pots in the middle of table
rucksacks

mellifluouscauliflower Tue 25-Aug-09 15:31:17

I would also suggest a small packet of tissues (never seems to be any loo paper)

sayithowitis Tue 25-Aug-09 17:30:33

Whatever you send into school, please, please,please, make sure her name is clearly written on it! You wouldn't believe how many disney princess/cars/spiderman etc lunchboxes there are ion the world! You can get special labels for the inside of shoes. There is nothing more aggravating than spending a fortune on school stuff that ends up in the lost property bin because it has no name on it. At our school, any unclaimed lost property is sold at the end of term.

lyraSilvertongue Tue 25-Aug-09 19:02:46

At our school even the named stuff ends up in the lost property bin hmm

Callisto Tue 25-Aug-09 20:29:01

I'm actually quite horrified about children being expected to do PE in vests and pants. I wouldn't be at all happy if I thought DD would have to do this. And none of her pants are like shorts - they're pants, thin material and not at all suitable for PE. And who is wearing vests at this time of year?

SolidGoldBrass Tue 25-Aug-09 21:12:18

Our school has sent a list of clothing but no info at all about whether or not DS needs a bookbag/snacks/water bottle/own crayons.
There is a parents' evening two days before he starts, so I suppose the idea is they tell you then and you run round the local shops like a mentalist trying to buy everything you didn't know you needed...

Numberfour Tue 25-Aug-09 22:12:21

I would NOT be happy with DS doing PE in vest and pants esp seeing he has not worn a vest in summer since he was 8 months old!

even if the session is over by the time the children are dressed, surely the dressing and undressing is part of the process of PE? at this age?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now