Talk

Advanced search

Name tags, Ironing and advice

(22 Posts)
gallery Tue 18-Aug-09 16:33:10

My little one starts primary in two weeks, I have tags which have his name on but when they arrived, I am horrified by how narrow they are- I had assumed I could tack them on (I went for sewing tags as another mom said the iron on ones took ages).
I am wondering if anyone has advice about sewing on these name tags- did you do small tacks all they way around or through the middle (they are just so narrow I can't think I will get my stitches small enough to border the edges). Also, has anyone tried using a sewing machine to do this, I am seriously thinking of investing in one. So again, recommendations for a sewing machine welcomed (I dread the thought of it but accept that with school may come costume requirements and other items needing sewing and my stitching is limited)
Finally, what do people recommend for shoes to ensure they are labelled.

nowwearefour Tue 18-Aug-09 16:36:15

I too am wondering about labelling shoes. My ma in law sewed on the name tags so i am lucky.

EldonAve Tue 18-Aug-09 16:38:01

how to sew them in

you can buy shoe labels from most places that sell kids shoes

vinblanc Tue 18-Aug-09 16:38:14

I machine on as many as I can. I don't have a problem with the border size, although did decide that it was time for reading glasses!

I use a Sharpie marker on shoes.

Lazaroooh Tue 18-Aug-09 16:46:14

It took me an hour to sew in six labels the other night, and I managed to break the needle. Also, after I had finished my friend said to me that it was better to cut the label out and then sew the name tag along the line where the label was sewn in. This was after I'd sewn it across the label.

hocuspontas Tue 18-Aug-09 16:52:08

Laundry pen. And if the school insist on name labels ask them why.

Write in large letters across collars and waistbands. No one will mistake them for their own nor steal them etc. And instantly identifiablt to your child. Can also be used for shoes. And 100 times quicker and less painful grin

gallery Tue 18-Aug-09 18:56:01

thanks all who put their experienxe. Could vinblanc recommend a machine type?I am thinking of buying something, anything that makes my life easier!¬

willali Tue 18-Aug-09 19:23:11

If you think yo cant manage to sew neatly all the way round just sew each end of the tape - it will be only 4 or 5 stiches max and you are left with another hanging loop into the bargain. I sew all the way round and honestly it's not that difficult

gallery Sat 29-Aug-09 17:58:57

just an update to say I finally got shopping today, got my needles and thread and have already sewed on about 6 tags. Hurrah! Thanks everyone, I went for willali advice and did the edges. You are right it is not that hard, it is just to many years since I last sewed anything

trickerg Sat 29-Aug-09 18:05:25

I agree hocus! Why do so many people beat themselves up about this? Why bother with all that sewing? Get a marker pen and write the names on - it'll take all of 5 minutes!

It doesn't make you a worse mother if you don't sew them on. The teacher will be extremely grateful that the clothes are named at all. Sewing on name labels seems to be some weird rite of passage judging by the number of posts about it.

gallery Sat 29-Aug-09 18:13:34

hey, I have to be allowed my foibles! Maybe it is the sad fulfillment for me as working mom to sit and sew having just baked chocolate cake- everyone has their weaknesses! And I don't mind what others do or don't, this time I am trying sewing, maybe it will be markers next

FourArms Sat 29-Aug-09 18:22:00

I did the iron on name tapes. They do take a while, but if you do them a batch at a time, it's not too bad. I just wash new stuff, and name tape on the first iron. Which reminds me.......

trickerg Sat 29-Aug-09 18:27:38

Maybe?! When we cleared my MIL house after she died, we found his brother's name labels in the sewing box, 50 years on!

Funny thing with name labels - after the first labelling frenzy, so many parents never seem to label another item of clothing ever again. It's like all the puff got taken from them after all that initial sewing. (And I put 'parents' because I felt well-disposed - have you ever heard of a man sewing on a name label?!)

FourArms Sat 29-Aug-09 20:47:30

No trickerg, although when DH joined the Navy, I sewed his in for him..... ones his mum had left over from when he was little! I've got mine from when I was at boarding school, my mum had kept them too! I have just labelled all of DS1's new stuff, although this year I'm not bothering to label his pants or socks!

trickerg Sat 29-Aug-09 20:51:01

LOL! I hope he doesn't lose those anyway - particularly the pants!!!

FourArms Sat 29-Aug-09 21:00:00

Well he did come home without pants on one day.... and they had apparently searched everywhere for them, but it seems he didn't have any on when he went to school that morning. blush

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Aug-09 21:08:01

I have just labelled all of DS's clothes with sew on name tapes. I folded them in half lengthways, then sewed the "short" end into the side seam next to the label. So, only a few stiches per name tape. For his coat and jumpers, I sewed the names tape out flat across the inside of the neck, and sewed all the way round. Small stiches yes, but not impossible.

FimbleHobbs Sun 30-Aug-09 14:03:42

I just finished sewing DS's name tapes in - definately a rite of passage type of thing. And probably working mum guilt too. And it hurts no one (except my fingers!)

Always used maker pen for nursery stuff but for Big School name tags seemed like a better option. They do make stuff easier to hand down to DD, she already has a lot of stuff with DS name marker penned in before I had thought about it.And I reckon DS will find it easier to recognise his name on his blue tapes, than jammed on a label. There are 3 boys with his name in class as it is so I thought it'd be easier this way.

DH did take the piss out of me though for taking a photo of all the little school shirts flapping on the line smile

gallery Sun 30-Aug-09 16:57:34

I was out last night and asked 2 other moms, one is really into sewing and makes her own clothes. One mom said, use iron on and the one who does all her own sewing and makes lovely clothes said to get a laundry pen! So there you go, the expert would have gone for the simplest option. Anyway my sewing is done though I am wondering if it will last any longer than the washing out of the laundry pens!

nickschick Sun 30-Aug-09 16:59:00

I have always sewn ours in just at the edges leaving the tag almost like a hook to hang on pegs etc.

thegrammerpolicesic Mon 31-Aug-09 16:35:09

Very good point trickerg....can we start a search for the only non-single dad in Britain who deals with the nametapes job? I bet we won't find one.

troutpout Mon 31-Aug-09 19:24:35

Don't bother sewing all around...just sew the ends on so it's like an extra hook. Very handy and takes half the time.
I get sticky name labels from ebay for shoes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now