Talk

Advanced search

anyone know about 'charms' for book bags?

(27 Posts)
nowwearefour Tue 18-Aug-09 13:08:32

My dd1 starts in reception in September. They all have to have these identical book bags which are stored spine up in a box in school. We were advised to get a unique 'charm' thing to put on our child's book bag handle. I dont really know what this is, where to buy it = i dont want to get it wrong and have my dd1 embarrassed because of my ineptitude! Anyone able to help me out at all?

princessmel Tue 18-Aug-09 13:10:42

I would think it's anything with a keyring attached.

Ds has just this morning, been putting any keyring he can find on his school bag!!

You can very pretty sparkly things in accessorise/monsoon. Or in Claires.

Or just use a keyring.

dd has one with her name on.

blithedance Tue 18-Aug-09 13:13:06

Basically you want a novelty keyring. The sort they have in billions at attraction gift shops/birthday card shops. You may even get one with DD's name on and kill two birds with one stone.

You can get little clip-on charms for zip pulls too (I have name ones for , it's hard to say what kind of shop but if you kept your eyes open next time you are shopping you'd see them everywhere.

GooseyLoosey Tue 18-Aug-09 13:14:49

Both mine have key rings on too - they are round the handle at the top. Dd has a cuddly elephant key ring on hers and ds a robot. Card shops and gift shops are quite good at these things.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 18-Aug-09 13:15:40

My children have souvenir keyrings from their holidays on theirs.

TsarChasm Tue 18-Aug-09 13:18:38

My dc have all had various keyrings on their bags over the years. It does help them identify their own bag at school (and me when all the bags are piled up in the hallgrin)

Does your dd's new class have a name? All through infants my dc's classes had animal names and I tried to get a keyring to match the animal (I know...blush but I'm soppy about stuff like thatgrin)

Ebay was a good place to find specific types of cheap keyrings. I've bought all sorts over the years owls, caterpillars etc. Also you could maybe look for one with her name on it. Even some small soft toys have a keyring attachment on them. Just makes the bag more individualsmile

pugsandseals Tue 18-Aug-09 15:22:38

DD made a shrinkles fairy one and is very proud of it!

MrsBadger Tue 18-Aug-09 15:27:55

... and tiny soft toys without keyring attachments can have a handy loop of tape sewn on, then attach the keyring to that.

Acinonyx Tue 18-Aug-09 15:58:44

Just got a keyring from our holiday to put on dd's bookbag.

Goblinchild Tue 18-Aug-09 16:01:39

Try and restrain yourself to one, some of the bookbags I've seen have a couple of kilos of stuff attached to them. grin

mrz Tue 18-Aug-09 16:57:48

THESE are great for identifying bags not only for the child but for the teacher

cocolepew Tue 18-Aug-09 17:18:25

Go to Claires you'll be spoilt for choice.

FritesMenthe Tue 18-Aug-09 17:27:04

I've just ordered a bunch of these for my DC, and for a couple of friends who are starting in Reception.

cocolepew Tue 18-Aug-09 17:28:35

Oh they're nice, Frites.

FritesMenthe Tue 18-Aug-09 17:39:26

Not sure how long-lasting they'll be but I couldn't find everyone's names on keyrings in the seaside tat shops, so these were a good alternative.

BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 17:40:34

you go to the shoe repairers and get a key ring

BadgersArse Tue 18-Aug-09 17:41:19

i ahev one from Gap that is an E if anyone has an Emily and wants it

Eddas Tue 18-Aug-09 17:41:55

I made a keyring for dd, well actually all the girls in her class! They went in their party bags. They are very similar to the link by FritesMenthe

jellybrain Tue 18-Aug-09 20:18:25

I got bag tags from www.mynamelabel.co.uk. You can put your child's full name on (good if he /she has a popular name) and extra detail such as your phone number. They are customised with your colour choice and a picture. I ordered a set of 5 because as well as identical book bags you can be pretty sure that there will be matching lunch bags, PE bags etc, etc.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 18-Aug-09 20:20:25

You have to get exactly the right key ring you know, or your child's education will suffer wink

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 18-Aug-09 20:39:23

Had DS's from Ebay, lots of designs and any name can be printed.

nowwearefour Tue 18-Aug-09 20:43:29

funnily enough Frites after the first few postings i went on ebay and found the exact ones you linked to. i am wondering whether just to order to wait til i have been to a claire's to see what is available there! i am sure it is such a trivial thing but as i am a reception-mum-virgin i dont yet know how much it really matters!!

princessmel Tue 18-Aug-09 21:27:31

It really doesn't matter what you choose!!

FritesMenthe Sat 22-Aug-09 12:12:24

just received my bagcharms from the ebay seller.they are lovely

nowwearefour Mon 24-Aug-09 19:47:37

thanks. i will order them right now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now