Talk

Advanced search

Calling all learning support assistants!

(10 Posts)
Amapoleon Tue 18-Aug-09 09:41:06

Hi, I have a job interview for an lsa, Senior education needs. [nvq3 or equivalent]

Would just like to have a chat and ask a few questions, if nobody minds.

Thanks

Feenie Tue 18-Aug-09 09:44:40

I am a primary school teacher and have interviewed for TA positions a few times. What would you like to know?

Amapoleon Tue 18-Aug-09 10:32:16

Hi, sorry kids hijacked the computer.

By trade I am a teacher. I have moved to an area where my job doesn't exist [outside UK.] I have applied for a job in a British school.

The interview is for an Eal job, at the school nobody but me will have much Eal experience. I am wondering whether I should tone my experience down so not to be over qualified.

What sort of questions am I likely to be asked?

What sort of pay should I expect?

Are lsas included in planning or would I be expected to follow the teacher's plan?

What sort of activities, duties are expected from an lsa?

Thanks.

Amapoleon Tue 18-Aug-09 11:39:57

LalalaNotlistening Tue 18-Aug-09 21:40:37

Hi.I am an LSA so will try to answer your questions if i can .

I was asked about my SEN knowledge and given some scenerios to talk about .Would imagine they will want to ask about your EAL knowledge ( especially if you are going to be their strength in that area ) I would expect to be asked some brief child protection questions ( ie , what would you do if a child made a disclosure to you etc )

In terms of planning i plan interventions that I run and my teacher also includes me in her planning but I have also worked with teachers who see planning as their role .At level 3 though I would think you would be planning/assessing at times.

My duties are supporting in class/ supporting taking pupils out of class for 1-to 1 sessions or small groups .Photocopying, displays,admin,personal care .I`m lucky as where I work LSA`s are there to support the pupils and the admin type stuff is done before/after the school day .

Hope some of this helps.Good luck with the job interview !

Amapoleon Tue 18-Aug-09 21:57:29

Thank you Lala, that's really helpful.

Feenie Tue 18-Aug-09 22:18:02

Lala's answer was v comprehensive - not really much to add. We've employed a few teachers as TAs, and deliberately not employed others. Teaching experience can be a huge boon in terms of knowing exactly what next steps children need to take to further their learning, teaching experience, subject knowledge, etc, etc.

However, some teachers make it plain in interview that they would find it difficult to follow a fellow teacher's instructions and intend be a TA in name and pay only! On interviewee actually told us she had 'taken over' a lesson at the front of the class for an NQT she decided was struggling! She didn't get the job....smile

Other questions might be:
- tell us about your experience of working with children to date.
- describe something within your experience which you feel has gone well.
- how might you seek to involve parents in the children's education?
- how would you deal with a child who was refusing to work and disrupting other children?

Will post more if I think of any...Let us know how you go on. smile

LalalaNotlistening Tue 18-Aug-09 23:15:59

Amapoleon - I didn`t mention the pay as it varies so much throughout the country . Mine is terrible though sadly .
Feenie - those are questions I got asked at interview for current job . My mind went blank as to what else they had asked me until I read those ! grin

Amapoleon Wed 19-Aug-09 09:27:58

Thanks Feenie, food for thought.

hayes Wed 19-Aug-09 12:31:12

In scotland I am paid £10,300 for a 27.5 hour week, 39 week contract..poor in my opinion for what I do or rather did as I have just resigned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now