Talk

Advanced search

"Plain trainers" for school - where do you buy them??

(17 Posts)
DeathbyDora Thu 13-Aug-09 20:24:58

Hiya - my DD is starting school in Sept and part of her uniform list is "plain trainers" with velcro fastening.

I bought a very plain pair from Startrite shoes who told me they were what everyone buys for school, they are plain white with a NIKE tick in pink on the side. They are the plainest I could find.

I was just going through a load of older paperwork I received a while ago and this uniform list expands to say "no branding or logos" after the trainers. This isn't stipulated on the most recent list.

I totally appreciate the sentiment behind this but have tried Clarkes, Adams, Barratts, Next and can't find a completely PLAIN pair! Plus the shop brands are all more expensive than the Nike ones I found!!

Anyone have any suggestions?

DrNortherner Thu 13-Aug-09 20:26:21

You'd probably get some in ASDA.

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 13-Aug-09 20:27:22

here

M&S also do something similar

Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 13-Aug-09 20:28:00

do you have a Brantano? they do loads of cheapy unbranded trainers. Sounds like a very fussy school! good luck.

EldonAve Thu 13-Aug-09 20:28:35

Have you bought Nike or Startrite?

Startrite ones will be fine

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 13-Aug-09 20:28:56

also these

bargainhuntingbetty Thu 13-Aug-09 20:30:18

Sorry thought you said ds. I will look again for a dd. Sorry

DeathbyDora Thu 13-Aug-09 20:58:21

Thanks so much for the suggestions. EldonAve I bought the Nike ones from the Startrite shop as they were the plainest but now I think I'll have to take them back!

Pain in the arse this is.....angry

movingnow Fri 14-Aug-09 17:23:47

These Clarkes one are plain

cocolepew Fri 14-Aug-09 17:40:05

La Redoute

hayes Fri 14-Aug-09 17:42:41

asda and tesco do plain trainers for £4...velcro

chablis Fri 14-Aug-09 17:49:45

Can't you just paint over the logo? grin

Smithagain Sat 15-Aug-09 09:50:55

Frankly, if it doesn't say "no logos" on the most recent list, I'd act ignorant and say that you've followed the instructions you were given.

But then, I'm a bit of a rebel at heart!

Do you know any other parents of older kids that would know how fussy they are in reality? They might have backed down on the "no logos" thing because it was so hard to find them.

foxinsocks Sat 15-Aug-09 09:52:23

don't they just mean those silly shoes they all wear for gym that cost £1?

LIZS Sat 15-Aug-09 09:58:06

They just mean no Dora the Explorer or skate logo type designs. Ours is simialr but the realist is that most sports brands and plainish Clarks etc go even lights and non-white based at times hmm. Last year dc's came from Decathlon and were plainer than most.

purepurple Sat 15-Aug-09 09:59:13

I fail to understand how having a small pink tick on the side of her trainers will affect her ability to do PE.
As you have already bought the trainers, i would be tempted to send them in to school and only change them if anyone actually asks you to.
FWIW, my DD, who is at high school, often uses non-uniform items. I kust write her a note saying "Please excuse DD for wearing non-uniform XYZ. I will replace them at my earliset convenience"
She has got away with it so far.
Bloody schools have far too many rules.

TheDailyMailHatesWomenAndLemon Sat 15-Aug-09 10:49:05

Is she going to the same school as DS? They also had two versions of the list, one saying "plain" and one saying "no visible logos". I have bought some pretty plain trainers from Tesco and reckon they will do. The school seems fairly sensible and I can't see then getting too het up over four year olds' trainers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now