Talk

Advanced search

Another thread about shoes. Where do you buy shoes for an H fit?

(25 Posts)
Pitchounette Fri 07-Aug-09 21:45:05

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Aug-09 21:50:24

Ricosta - their wide fit is really very wide (DS is over an H and they fit with room). this site have a few styles available in wide and a 31

Pitchounette Fri 07-Aug-09 22:24:28

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Aug-09 22:26:28

They have slim, medium and wide. I have no idea what Clarks widths these correspond to, just what fits on DS's feet

Pitchounette Sat 08-Aug-09 10:14:40

Message withdrawn

dutchmam Sat 08-Aug-09 18:39:27

I buy startrite online. You can buy a gauge to measure and then order the right size. The selection is smaller but they do do H width
www.startriteshoes.com/

crokky Sat 08-Aug-09 19:13:15

Pitchounette - I don't like clarks either for similar reasons (my kids both have very narrow feet), but you can go on the clarks website and order shoes to be delivered to the clarks store of your choice, go in and try them on and only pay for them if you want them. You can order a few shoes in 12H to be delivered and choose in the store. Solves the problem of them never having the size you want, but service is still poor!

norfolklass Sun 09-Aug-09 17:46:35

Ive had exactly the same problem-DS is starting reception in september and is now a 13H (well actually he is beyond an H but neither the clarks or startrite measurer goes that wide lol!)

I have tried every single pair of clarks and startrite that they do in an H fitting (which was not many!) and non of them fitted him...one of the staff in clarks just said he had odd feet and none of their shoes would fit him...very helpful!

He normally wears Geox shoes but haven't been able to find any Geox school shoes round here so I ordered a pair of Buckle My Shoes ones from e-bay (brand new) and took a huge gamble but they are fantastic. They are very wide and are great quality and look fantastic (well as good as any black school shoes could look!). Ive also been told Ricosta are good as well for wide feet so am going to try them next time as well but these were such a bargain I haven't had to look for any more yet!

Id try and independent shoe shop and avoid clarks/startrite because I don't think they cater for very wide or very narrow feet...unless you are somewhere in the middle you are a bit stuck!

movingnow Sun 09-Aug-09 17:51:19

Where do you live, this company are very good (Home Counties)

mummypig Sun 09-Aug-09 18:00:59

Clarks have been awful for my wide-footed ds1 (7yo) so I usually buy Ricosta for school and Geox for home.

But I've had problems with the black slip-on plimsolls required for PE. Even my friendly (but quirky) local independent shoeshop weren't able to get plimsolls to fit him. I usually resort to buying cheap trainers in a size larger than he really is. The teachers haven't complained but I don't really like this option as I feel I'm buying things that aren't good for his feet. Does anyone have any recommendations?

movingnow Tue 11-Aug-09 20:25:50

mummypig - John Lewis plimsols are wider than previous ones I've had for DS

blametheparents Tue 11-Aug-09 20:33:39

The Geox shop at Bluewater stocks Geox school shoes if anyone lives nearby.

Pitchounette Sat 15-Aug-09 21:27:28

Message withdrawn

Pitchounette Thu 20-Aug-09 10:43:44

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 10:47:06

Are they the wide fit ? I think it's marked Weit in them - they do slim, middle and wide, so they may not have sent you the right width

Pitchounette Thu 20-Aug-09 10:51:38

Message withdrawn

paisleyleaf Thu 20-Aug-09 10:55:44

DD's an H too. 10.5 H. I've got her school shoes from Brantano. A Clarkes pair in the end - the choice for the width was very limited, and we were there for ages.

ManicMother7777 Thu 20-Aug-09 11:27:44

I'm another ricosta fan, beautifully made, very hard wearing & long lasting (a whole school year for 2 boys who play football every breaktime)and also very good for wide feet (ds2 is also off the width scale). Weit is indeed the wide fit. Expensive but worth it, anything else for my dc has been false economy.

neversaydie Thu 20-Aug-09 11:31:07

DS has wide feet with a very high instep, and has been a nightmare to fit. The real buggeration factor is that they usually only have a couple of pairs in the widest fitting, and if they don't also accommodate the high instep we have had it.

Clarks are OK, but I hate the styles for larger sizes. Startrite don't last (on my son at least). The best we have had are Ecco, Ricosta and Geox.

One thing that can help, at least with Geox and Ecco is to remove the insole - this gives more depth to the shoe.

Independant shoe shops with a range of makes and a good fitter help a lot if you can get to one.

Pitchounette Thu 20-Aug-09 16:15:21

Message withdrawn

TheFallenMadonna Thu 20-Aug-09 16:19:38

DD has awkward feet. IME you need a good independent shop with a wide range of makes, and just keep on trying things on. A really good shop will also do adjustments like adding insoles in order to ensure a good fit. We drive about 90 mins (shock)to get to a shop like that, but we've never had to come away empty-handed.

Pitchounette Thu 20-Aug-09 16:26:53

Message withdrawn

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 16:32:47

The two shops we go to are either an hour, or 1hr20 to get to (can combine this with a trip to my parents though). We looked on the Ricosta list of stockists to find them.
I phone in advance to tell them that we are coming and what we need - they check the stock and get out suitable shoes to try.

Where, very roughly, are you ?

Ecco and Geox don't have any width sizing, so you really have to try them on to see.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 20-Aug-09 16:46:25

We were in the city for another reason and just stumbled across it. A lucky accident. Which isn't helpful at all. I would agree that looking for Ricosta or Geox stockists would be a good place to start.

Pitchounette Thu 20-Aug-09 17:12:08

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now