Talk

Advanced search

scores in year 5 for english, maths etc can any teachers explain??

(6 Posts)
overthemill Thu 06-Aug-09 11:44:45

can someone explain to me what the scores mean that my daughter has on her end of term report? I must have missed a note somewhere along the line as although I have 16, 13 and 10 year old children I don't understand them!

she is in yr 5 - 'should' she be achieving '5' scores? How come some of her scores are way above 5 and some way below (I apreciate the way some achieve higher than others but this seems wierd).

And for my 13 year old, he's getting madly odd scores too so what are the 'average' scores for yr 8?

Any other info appreciated!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Aug-09 11:52:47

Are these scores for SATs? It sort of sounds like not if you've got more than three values (maths/eng/sci)

I don't think you can get a SAT score 'way above 5' in papers done in yr 5

If they aren't SATs then presumably they are some internal marks which could mean anything. Ours gives 'effort grades' for each subject, for which we have a list of whether it means satisfactory, vg, excellent or whatever

mrz Thu 06-Aug-09 12:52:19

If the scores are above 5 they are definitely not SAT levels as primary schools no longer have higher level assessment materials.

What level should my child be working at?

At the end of each Key Stage, children are expected to reach certain levels of knowledge, skills and understanding in each subject. The expected Attainment Level for children at the end of each Key Stage is as follows:
Expected level at end of KS
Key Stage 1 - 2 (at age 7)
Key Stage 2 - 4 (at age 11)
Key Stage 3 - 5 or 6 (at age 14)

overthemill Fri 07-Aug-09 17:55:20

thanks mrz - this helps a lot. They aren't SATs but the 'scores' I have been given for each subject she studies - she as at a middle school so although only end of yr 5 they are subjects like maths, history, geog, french, music etc.

For some subjects she has targets and acheievments (like english, maths) but for others just a score like 5c or 3c for example.

I just find it a bit confusing!

LalalaNotlistening Fri 07-Aug-09 20:06:33

If they are scores such as 5c,3a etc they will be either teacher assessment scores or her scores from the optional QCA tests that schools do in the summer term .For that age the levels would be between 3 and 5 .

LalalaNotlistening Fri 07-Aug-09 20:07:49

Only in maths, english and science though in most schools .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now