Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else bit sad their dc's won't be in a uniform come Sept?

(24 Posts)
stringerbell Mon 03-Aug-09 15:38:16

Message withdrawn

stringerbell Mon 03-Aug-09 22:00:45

Message withdrawn

TEJQ Mon 03-Aug-09 22:22:10

Wow! No, its YEARS since I saw a primary school child not in school uniform, probably well over 20 years actually.

Unheard of here (NW), every school has a uniform which is 'encouraged' and probably 100% are happy to comply.

stringerbell Mon 03-Aug-09 22:28:18

Message withdrawn

bluejeans Mon 03-Aug-09 22:30:45

I feel sorry for you having to make a decision every day what to dress DCs in, uniform keeps it simple! Unheard of in Scotland too

And it won't be the same taking a photo on their first day if they're not in uniform...

stringerbell Mon 03-Aug-09 22:45:13

Message withdrawn

bluejeans Mon 03-Aug-09 22:49:03

Sorry - my post probably made you feel worse! At least it sounds as if you are happy with the school in other respects

Yurtgirl Mon 03-Aug-09 22:55:32

Roughly where abouts are you Stringer?
Round here all schools have polo shirts - primary and secondary

Tis easier I agree

stringerbell Mon 03-Aug-09 22:58:55

Message withdrawn

Yurtgirl Mon 03-Aug-09 23:29:52

oooh thats funny cos I did all my teaching practices in Bristol - so when you said all the local schools didnt have uniforms I thought of there!

I went to 10 in the end - in 4 years, sheesh!

My favourite had the initials FA, I dont think they had a uniform then
BL primary school certainly didnt - I still wonder how some of those kids have got on in life

stringerbell Tue 04-Aug-09 00:07:13

Message withdrawn

stringerbell Tue 04-Aug-09 09:31:08

Message withdrawn

stringerbell Tue 04-Aug-09 09:34:16

Message withdrawn

gladders Tue 04-Aug-09 10:46:01

stringerbell - am with you on this one.

i asked at our local primary whether they intended to introduce uniform at any stage and was met with an en masse snort of derision.

when i said i felt it was easier especially as the children get older and more fashion conscious, you could almost hear the tumbleweed.

i don't understand this attitude at all. polo shirt and sweatshirt every day. looks smart - saves nice clothes for otuside school, gives sense of belonging, means poorer kids don't feel left out. what's not to like.

ds will be starting aata sweatshirt wearing school in september.

thegrammerpolice Tue 04-Aug-09 11:55:20

All our local schools have uniform too.

Could you have a special 'uniform' drawer with say navy tracksuit bottoms, polo shirts and a top that he just wears everyday so he feels he has a uniform, you have the convenience of it and he doesn't look too out of place with the other kids?

Runoutofideas Tue 04-Aug-09 18:18:07

Hi,
I was really surprised by the amount of Bristol schools with no uniform. My dd is going to E Infants which does have a fairly strict uniform but have friends with children going to H moaning that most of them don;t wear it and SP which I don't think has.... I think it's great to have one - makes life so much easier.

stringerbell Tue 04-Aug-09 21:16:25

Message withdrawn

ThursdayNext Tue 04-Aug-09 21:20:09

No uniform here either, we're in London
I'm not fussed though, doesn't seem important to me for primary

Runoutofideas Wed 05-Aug-09 07:52:15

Yes I did feel very lucky to get a place at E - however you'll be in a much better position than us in Yr7 if you get into RG as we've got slim to no chance! Uniform will be the least of our issues at that point - and we thought getting primary places was stressful!

ChocHobNob Wed 05-Aug-09 10:31:20

The uniform at my DS1's primary and most of the primary's around here have non compulsory uniforms from Nursery, but they are available and I would say about 75% of children wear them.

My son will be. So much easier!

SoupDragon Wed 05-Aug-09 10:38:07

If a child needs their own clothes to "self express" that says more about the child than it does about uniform.

Runoutofideas Wed 05-Aug-09 11:22:29

Surely it's more about allowing the parents to "self express" as I'm sure few 4 year olds purchase their own clothes.....

Yurtgirl Wed 05-Aug-09 17:49:07

Stringer - FA is Filton Avenue yes
I dont remember the owl though tbh!

BL is in LW so poor prospects all round -worse places to live though I reckon. I used to love "goin up blaise" (what the luckier kids did at the weekend!)

SP......... hmm now I think I used to do teaching practice there as well.......

susiey Sat 15-Aug-09 23:17:17

the school my dd is starting in september has introduced a uniform this september after a parent/ child vote I was so relieved I so wanted that first school piccie in her uniform.

if she had have been non school uniform I would have gone and bought a lod of school clothes that lived in seperate drawer just h & m cords and tshirts so that there weren't so many descisions to make every morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now